From: "corlioni1976" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Does Visual ADA exist?
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:08:46 -0000
Date: 2005-01-11T14:09:32+00:00	[thread overview]

"Marius Amado Alves" <amado.alves@netcabo.pt> wrote in message
news:mailman.42.1105447548.527.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org...
> > I am trying to evaluate the transfer of a program written in ADA that
runs
> > on an old DOS based computer to a win2000 computer.  I need to make the
> > program user friendly by giving it a graphical user interface.   At the
> > moment its just a text interface.  I will probably have to rewrite the
> > program.  Does Visual ADA exist?  If not, is there software that can be
used
> > to convert (cross compile) ADA to C or C++ so I can convert to visual C
or
> > visual C++?
>
> You should take the chance to do it all in Ada using one the many
> excelent Ada GUI libraries available. If nothing fancy use JEWL.
>
> But... if you really want to use a C GUI library then I would recomend a
> bilingual construction. You already have the business logic in Ada.
> Leave it there. Don't "rewrite" it: just make a wrapper around it that
> exports it to C. Then make you gadgets in C connecting to the business
> logic thru this wrapper.

Hi Marius,

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know of any good ada compilers out there that
I could use.  I am a beginner (last C programming was done 4 years ago and
VHDL 5 months ago) when it comes to ada.  I don't really want to learn ada
and relearn C again.  If I can save time by just learning some ada and
transport the code  that way and add a GUI to it I think that will save me
alot of time in the long run.  I dont mind paying for the compiler if what I
get is good (the company will pay), but it still needs to be relatively
cheap (<�500 GB).  Can you recommend any?

Thanks
Naveed