* Curious bug in 737 glass instruments
@ 2020-01-10 16:07 Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2020-01-10 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Came across this one in pprune the other day:

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/628664-blackout-bug-boeing-737-cockpit-screens-go-blank-if-pilots-land-specific-runways.html

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/08/boeing_737_ng_cockpit_screen_blank_bug/

 > "All six display units (DUs) blanked with a selected instrument
approach to a runway with a 270-degree true heading, and all six DUs
stayed blank until a different runway was selected," noted the FAA's
airworthiness directive, summarising three incidents that occurred on
scheduled 737 flights to Barrow, Alaska, in 2019."

 > Although full technical details were not given in the airworthiness
directive, the FAA said that the seven runways had "latitude and
longitude values" that "triggered the blanking behaviour", suggesting
some kind of memory interaction between onboard computers causing the
screens to stop displaying any information until a different runway was
selected in the flight plan.

 > The bug affects 737-600, -700, -700C, -800, -900 and -900ER model
aircraft, which are running Common Display System Block Point 15 (CDS BP
15) software for their display electronic units (DEUs) together with
flight management computer (FMC) software version U12 or later.

Just wondering if some Ada is be involved...

* Re: Curious bug in 737 glass instruments
@ 2020-01-10 17:14 ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2020-01-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 17:07:04 +0100, "Alejandro R. Mosteo"
<alejandro@mosteo.com> declaimed the following:

> > The bug affects 737-600, -700, -700C, -800, -900 and -900ER model
>aircraft, which are running Common Display System Block Point 15 (CDS BP
>15) software for their display electronic units (DEUs) together with
>flight management computer (FMC) software version U12 or later.
>

>Just wondering if some Ada is be involved...

	Can't speak for the display units -- I think Rockwell makes those. Odd
that all displays blank at the same time... I could understand if the
displays showing the approach view blanked as some artifact of plotting
that heading. But... possibly the data is broadcast to all displays, and
the display mode is selectable via front panel buttons allowing pilots to
reroute displays as needed.

	The FMC is Ada-83. And the control panel unit obviously did not blank
if they could use it to select different runway/heading.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: Curious bug in 737 glass instruments
@ 2020-01-10 21:16 ` foo wong
From: foo wong @ 2020-01-10 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Me too!

The thing that worries me about all this 737 stuff is not whether or not Ada was to blame but whether or not project managers are going to blame it.

If someone was starting as new project, won't people ask, "are you going to use that Boeing 737 language"

Here is a new story today:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6393278/boeing-employees-737-max-designed-by-clowns/

“This airplane is designed by clowns who in turn are supervised by monkeys,” one employee wrote.

* Re: Curious bug in 737 glass instruments
@ 2020-01-11 17:28   ` Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2020-01-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/1/20 22:16, foo wong wrote:
> Me too!
>
> The thing that worries me about all this 737 stuff is not whether or not Ada was to blame but whether or not project managers are going to blame it.

Not the meaning of involvement I had in mind originally, but interesting
thinking...