From: evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr)
Cc: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman), evans@evans.pgh.pa.us
Subject: Re: Creating markets (long)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 08:59:47 -0400
Date: 1994-09-25T08:59:47-04:00	[thread overview]

In an on-going discussion about creating a market for Ada products on
the Mac, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) wrote (among many other
things):

>                                                   ... the [Mac] Ada
> companies missed an opportunity that they cannot now recover. The Mac
> market may be smaller than the PC market, but it is still large enough
> for e.g. MetroWerks to make money in.

How true.  MetroWerks seems to be a big player, and they have C, C++ and
Pascal products.  Why don't they have an Ada product?  Well, probably
because they don't perceive that a market exists for one.  Can we change
that perception?  Maybe.  But we can surely _try_ to change that
perception.

Tomorrow morning (I am writing this on Sunday), I will call APDA, the
part of Apple that sells software for developers, and ask about an Ada
compiler, from MetroWerks or anyone else.  I'll act surprised when I
learn that there isn't such a product and express my opinion that they
could sell it if it existed, and that I'm ready to place my order.  (I
am.)  APDA can be reached at 800-282-2732.

Next I'll try to reach MetroWerks.  I don't have their telephone number,
but I hope a bit of chasing around will reveal one.  Or, someone may
interest in an Ada product.

I'll also try MacConnection, my favorite mail-order house for software.
They are at 800-800-2222.

And what all you folks out there can do is the same thing.  That is, put
your money (10 or 15 minutes of your time) where your mouth is, and do
what you can to influence the _right_ folks that an Ada market _does_
exist on the Mac.  Let's try it.

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us