From: Jerry <list_email@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Weird error emanating from GNAT binder: duplicat "gnatS"
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 00:50:21 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 10:53:33 PM UTC-7, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2023-02-22 0:59, Jerry wrote:
> > On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 5:11:41 PM UTC-7, Jerry wrote:
> >> I have the following program...
> >
> > Please let me summarize my problem: I have an Ada program which GNAT
> > indicates has no errors but which it refuses to compile.
> >
> > Jerry
> Well, as you have shown only a part of the source code, it becomes a
> guessing game for us others... but, since the compiler is pointing to an
> error in a compiler-generated file, it seems likely that there is some
> kind of compiler bug here. This bug seems to be activated by the
> "limited with", if that is the main thing that you have changed since
> the program last compiled successfully.
>
> The compiler bug could be in the generation of the compiler-generated
> file, or it could be a bug in checking the source code, with the effect
> of not detecting or not reporting some error (illegality) in your source
> code, which then somehow propagates within the compiler and makes the
> compiler generate the faulty compiler-generated file.
>
> You might report the bug to AdaCore, and/or try other versions of GNAT,
> or othe Ada compilers. But the quickest way to continue is probably to
> find a work-around, for example change the architecture so that you do
> not need the "limited with" that seems to be triggering the problem.

Since my most recent post, and before I read this note from Niklas, I
* Removed the circular dependency between packages common and signal_processing and consequently was able to remove the "limited with" clause.
* Reinstalled the compiler.
Neither of these had any effect--the problem remains.

To NIklas's note:
* I would be happy to supply all of the code but it is very long, thousands of lines across several packages.
* Yes, a possible compiler hiccup; but I have no clue or power to figure out what is wrong, since it is not pointing to my code.
* The "limited with" has been in the code for a few years; the problem that I am reporting has begun only about 2-3 days ago. At that point, I was adding a function to common.adb and common.ads; upon recompiling, the bug appeared. When I restored those files from backup, the problem remained. To be clear, the "limited with" has been present for a long time with successful compilation until 2-3 days ago.
* As far as I know, which is pretty far, the source code hasn't changed. As we all know, those are famous last words. :-| But the compiler isn't point to my code.
* As I wrote above, I re-wrote the code and removed the "limited with."

I am an individual researcher with no resources outside of bothering people such as those on this list, and at this point my work has come to a screeching halt.

Jerry