* RAPID
       [not found] <20040328100010.A912D4C40A0@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-03-28 16:17 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-03-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Anyone know how Root_Type_Access is supposed to be defined in
the Gtk.ads file?

Anyone know why gtk-signal.ads, gtk-signal.adb are no longer in
the gtk includes?

I am now trying to build RAPID.  Seems that there are some problems.
It is time to quit now.  It is time for food and sleep....

Bye bye

Andrew Carroll
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* RAPID
@ 2021-04-12 16:56 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi :-)

courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)

i would like to know if there still exists some RAPID users :-)

i also would like to know if there are some users of other platforms
than Unix or Windows who would like to use RAPID, even if it doesn't
work until now.

i see that GtkAda supports at least Solaris/sparc platform, in addition
to Unix and Windows,
but if no one is interested i won't waste time on a specific portability.
tell me :-)

--
RAPID maintainer
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rapid/

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-12 17:58 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2021-04-12 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:56:55 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
> i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)
> i would like to know if there still exists some RAPID users :-)
>

> i also would like to know if there are some users of other platforms
> than Unix or Windows who would like to use RAPID, even if it doesn't
> work until now.
>
> i see that GtkAda supports at least Solaris/sparc platform, in addition
> to Unix and Windows,
> but if no one is interested i won't waste time on a specific portability.
> tell me :-)

I'm on Windows and Solaris and Linux here, we might get Macintosh from long-term visitors.

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-12 18:04   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31164e74-92d2-4424-9248-e6360dff9f4bn@googlegroups.com>,
 Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:56:55 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
> > i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)
> > i would like to know if there still exists some RAPID users :-)
> >

> > i also would like to know if there are some users of other platforms
> > than Unix or Windows who would like to use RAPID, even if it doesn't
> > work until now.
> >
> > i see that GtkAda supports at least Solaris/sparc platform, in addition
> > to Unix and Windows,
> > but if no one is interested i won't waste time on a specific portability.
> > tell me :-)
>
> I'm on Windows and Solaris and Linux here, we might get Macintosh from
> long-term visitors.

ok :-)

what's your relation with RAPID ?
(are you a user ? are you interested ? ...)

--

@ 2021-04-12 20:01     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2021-04-12 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:04:53 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> In article <31164e74-92d2-4424>,
> Shark8 wrote:
>
> > On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:56:55 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > > courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
> > > i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)
> > > i would like to know if there still exists some RAPID users :-)
> > >

> > > i also would like to know if there are some users of other platforms
> > > than Unix or Windows who would like to use RAPID, even if it doesn't
> > > work until now.
> > >
> > > i see that GtkAda supports at least Solaris/sparc platform, in addition
> > > to Unix and Windows,
> > > but if no one is interested i won't waste time on a specific portability.
> > > tell me :-)
> >
> > I'm on Windows and Solaris and Linux here, we might get Macintosh from
> > long-term visitors.
> ok :-)
>
> what's your relation with RAPID ?
> (are you a user ? are you interested ? ...)
Not a user, currently.
But interested, and having a nice cross-platform common-UI would make things a lot nicer for some prospective software-upgrades at work.
One such possible nicety would be a universal administration tool, another would be a data-management/-analysis tool for visiting scientists, another possibility would be decoupling several control-programs (codebases in everything from C to VB to C#) used to operate the instrumentation here from their host-systems and increase portability.

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-12 20:40 ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2021-04-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den 2021-04-12 kl. 18:56, skrev Thomas:
> Hi :-)
>

> courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
> i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)

I looked at the links, and hmm, it looked abandoned.
Is it alive and kicking?
What are the plans for it?

--
Björn

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-12 21:28       ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-12 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cc5120b0-152b-4639-aa13-dfdba1d6007dn@googlegroups.com>,
 Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:04:53 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > In article <31164e74-92d2-4424>,
> > Shark8 wrote:

> > > I'm on Windows and Solaris and Linux here, we might get Macintosh from
> > > long-term visitors.
> > ok :-)
> >
> > what's your relation with RAPID ?
> > (are you a user ? are you interested ? ...)

> Not a user, currently.
> But interested, and having a nice cross-platform common-UI would make things
> a lot nicer for some prospective software-upgrades at work.

ok :-)

> One such possible nicety would be a universal administration tool, another
> would be a data-management/-analysis tool for visiting scientists, another
> possibility would be decoupling several control-programs (codebases in
> everything from C to VB to C#) used to operate the instrumentation here from
> their host-systems and increase portability.

not sure to understand all what theese tools are doing,

do you think that you understood what RAPID does,
and that it could help you to make all UI of theese tools ?

i would like to ask you to try to compile RAPID and test it,

before i need to ask you:

- if you have a subversion client.
on Linux it shouldn't be a problem.
that's only for the time you want to test my patches, you needn't it for
public versions.
for the other platforms you should be able to copy the code internally,
from the Linux one.

- which kind of graphical toolkits are available, on each platform you
need to run RAPID (or what it will have generated).
i don't think it's important your tools are currently using the same
toolkit than RAPID, if you plan to re-do UI from sratch, but i may be
wrong.

--

@ 2021-04-12 21:51   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <s52b7d$g9s$1@dont-email.me>,
 Björn Lundin <b.f.lundin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Den 2021-04-12 kl. 18:56, skrev Thomas:
> > Hi :-)
> >

> > courtesy Oliver Kellogg,
> > i'm officially the new RAPID maintainer :-)
> >

> I looked at the links, and hmm, it looked abandoned.

I haven't had time to make a new public version yet.

you can have a look at my work via subversion :
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/rapid/branches/gtkada-2.24/

> Is it alive and kicking?

hum ... depends on your criteria ;-)

> What are the plans for it?

1st, i want to update it to the most recent tools, notably GtkAda.
(by the way i found some bugs and i'll made some little improvements.)

--

@ 2021-04-15 14:12         ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2021-04-15 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 3:28:15 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> In article <cc5120b0-152b-4639>,
> Shark8 wrote:
>
> > On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:04:53 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:

> > > ok :-)
> > >
> > > what's your relation with RAPID ?
> > > (are you a user ? are you interested ? ...)
>
> > Not a user, currently.
> > But interested, and having a nice cross-platform common-UI would make things
> > a lot nicer for some prospective software-upgrades at work.
> ok :-)
> > One such possible nicety would be a universal administration tool, another
> > would be a data-management/-analysis tool for visiting scientists, another
> > possibility would be decoupling several control-programs (codebases in
> > everything from C to VB to C#) used to operate the instrumentation here from
> > their host-systems and increase portability.
> not sure to understand all what theese tools are doing,
>
> do you think that you understood what RAPID does,
> and that it could help you to make all UI of theese tools ?
Perhaps I should explain: where I am we have a system that was grown over the space of 30 years, portions are custom programs, portions are things like cron-jobs.
I would ultimately like to clean things up so that there is minimal dependence on OSes, allowing us to change out as-needed, and using a single language (Ada) to increase maintainability and correctness/consistency of the system.

> i would like to ask you to try to compile RAPID and test it,
>

> before i need to ask you:
>
> - if you have a subversion client.
> on Linux it shouldn't be a problem.
> that's only for the time you want to test my patches, you needn't it for
> public versions.
> for the other platforms you should be able to copy the code internally,
> from the Linux one.
Hm, I see... it might take me a bit to set up a linux computer for such use; we have training for new personnel and the computer I would use is time-shared with operations, so I'll have to make sure the system is free when I want to do things.

> - which kind of graphical toolkits are available, on each platform you
> need to run RAPID (or what it will have generated).
I'm not entirely sure about the full set yet; the most-used UI for the system is a Java program, run under Solaris.

@ 2021-04-15 18:48           ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-15 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a190b236-0957-44e6-8d29-b8b244304173n@googlegroups.com>,
 Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 3:28:15 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > In article <cc5120b0-152b-4639>,
> > Shark8 wrote:
> >
> > > One such possible nicety would be a universal administration tool,
> > > another
> > > would be a data-management/-analysis tool for visiting scientists,
> > > another
> > > possibility would be decoupling several control-programs (codebases in
> > > everything from C to VB to C#) used to operate the instrumentation here
> > > from
> > > their host-systems and increase portability.
> > not sure to understand all what theese tools are doing,
> >
> > do you think that you understood what RAPID does,
> > and that it could help you to make all UI of theese tools ?
> Perhaps I should explain: where I am we have a system that was grown over the
> space of 30 years, portions are custom programs, portions are things like
> cron-jobs.
> I would ultimately like to clean things up so that there is minimal
> dependence on OSes, allowing us to change out as-needed, and using a single
> language (Ada) to increase maintainability and correctness/consistency of the
> system.

so you might like HAC Ada Compiler :-)
(it seems to be an interpreter rather than a Compiler)

i don't use it myself,
but someone on the french ada list said that it is very nice to use
instead of Bash

https://hacadacompiler.sourceforge.io/

> > i would like to ask you to try to compile RAPID and test it,
> >

> > before i need to ask you:
> >
> > - if you have a subversion client.
> > on Linux it shouldn't be a problem.
> > that's only for the time you want to test my patches, you needn't it for
> > public versions.
> > for the other platforms you should be able to copy the code internally,
> > from the Linux one.
> Hm, I see... it might take me a bit to set up a linux computer for such use;
> we have training for new personnel and the computer I would use is
> time-shared with operations, so I'll have to make sure the system is free
> when I want to do things.

the important point is the subversion client.
you may find it for your platform, or you may create a virtual machine
on your computer, with Linux as guest.

if it's too dificult, i can send you zip files instead.

> > - which kind of graphical toolkits are available, on each platform you
> > need to run RAPID (or what it will have generated).
> I'm not entirely sure about the full set yet; the most-used UI for the system
> is a Java program, run under Solaris.

ok.
is it required to continue to use Java UI via ada, or are you able to
replace it by any available UI ?

currently, RAPID knows only GtkAda (2.24.4 for the moment) and Tash.

but it is designed to easily add more graphical toolkits.

there was a peer for java.
i removed it because it was made for Ada-Java Interfacing Suite, which
is not free, so I can't afford to maintain it.
but if you need it, it's easy to recover what i removed (then if you
need my help i'll need an access to your computer)

i think there was a peer for a Windows-specific graphical toolkits too,
anyway we can imagine it.

if you create a virtual machine, you can use ubuntu 16.04, it's the one
i currently use to maintain RAPID, so it has the right version of GtkAda

--

@ 2021-04-15 22:09   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-15 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31164e74-92d2-4424-9248-e6360dff9f4bn@googlegroups.com>,
 Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 10:56:55 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:

> > i also would like to know if there are some users of other platforms
> > than Unix or Windows who would like to use RAPID, even if it doesn't
> > work until now.
> >
> > i see that GtkAda supports at least Solaris/sparc platform, in addition
> > to Unix and Windows,
> > but if no one is interested i won't waste time on a specific portability.
> > tell me :-)
>
> I'm on Windows and Solaris and Linux here, we might get Macintosh from
> long-term visitors.

i need your help to allow me to make RAPID as portable as possible,
please :-)

* Solaris

for me, Solaris is obscure,
but Wikipédia says it's an Unix operating system, so it is UNIX

could you confirm to me that access to the filesystem is like Linux,
please ?
this way, nothing special to do with filesystem for Solaris :-)

Gtk may look&feel a bit special, like on Macintosh, but nothing avoiding
to use it.

* Windows

as far as i know, Windows is not UNIX, and the access to the filesystem
is *not* like Linux

there was a fix here :
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/rapid?view=revision&revision=147

i want to improve "access to the filesystem" management, using
Ada.Directories rather than "&" and GNAT.OS_Lib.Directory_Separator.

the big problem I have, is that i can't test the result on Windows
because i don't have it, so i can't know if, doing that, i revert this
fix ...

before i detail it more, tell me if you're available to help me.
maybe you know, via your experience with ada on Windows, what i need to
know without needing to test it :-)

--

@ 2021-04-16  6:46     ` Emmanuel Briot
From: Emmanuel Briot @ 2021-04-16  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Windows
> the big problem I have, is that i can't test the result on Windows
> because i don't have it, so i can't know if, doing that, i revert this
> fix ...

You should install a virtual machine to test your software with Windows, that's the only way.
Microsoft offers for free such machines, with a limited lifespan (so you will have to download and reinstall every few months, but
that's a starting point). You might also be able to get a full version of windows using the software from an older PC.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-16  7:16             ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2021-04-16  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den 2021-04-15 kl. 20:48, skrev Thomas:
> the important point is the subversion client.
> you may find it for your platform, or you may create a virtual machine
> on your computer, with Linux as guest.

We use Svnkit <https://svnkit.com> - a pure Java svn client for our AIX
servers. Should work on Solaris too

--
Björn

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-16  7:31       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2021-04-16  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2021-04-16 08:46, Emmanuel Briot wrote:
>> * Windows
>> the big problem I have, is that i can't test the result on Windows
>> because i don't have it, so i can't know if, doing that, i revert this
>> fix ...
>
> You should install a virtual machine to test your software with Windows, that's the only way.
> Microsoft offers for free such machines, with a limited lifespan (so you will have to download and reinstall every few months, but
> that's a starting point). You might also be able to get a full version of windows using the software from an older PC.

Right, it could even be a Windows 7, rather that Windows 10. GUI stuff
is fully compatible.

There are lots of old licenses from dead machines people re-sell on
ebay. MS frowns on this, but AFAIK it is legal, at least in the EU it
likely is.

P.S. If you want to support 32-bit Windows as well, you will need GNAT
Pro or else stick with a very old GNAT GPL edition. The old GNAT GPL is
just fine, unless you wanted newer Ada 2012 toys...

* Re: RAPID
@ 2021-04-19 23:34       ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-19 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3b402b1b-a831-4195-a613-aa8b592a5339n@googlegroups.com>,
 Emmanuel Briot <briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Microsoft offers for free such machines, with a limited lifespan (so you will
> have to download and reinstall every few months, but
> that's a starting point). You might also be able to get a full version of
> windows using the software from an older PC.
>
> https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

thank you, i didn't know it :-)

but it doesn't work on my old mac, it's an OVA, and my VirtualBox 4.3.40
does support only OVF.

anyway it's not sure it would have worked, since with ubuntu it makes
kernel panics since ubuntu 18.4

hopefully i should change my computer soon :-)

--

@ 2021-04-19 23:55         ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2021-04-19 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <s5begs$3ri$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
 "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

> On 2021-04-16 08:46, Emmanuel Briot wrote:
> >> * Windows
> >> the big problem I have, is that i can't test the result on Windows
> >> because i don't have it, so i can't know if, doing that, i revert this
> >> fix ...
> >
> > You should install a virtual machine to test your software with Windows,
> > that's the only way.

> P.S. If you want to support 32-bit Windows as well, you will need GNAT
> Pro or else stick with a very old GNAT GPL edition. The old GNAT GPL is
> just fine, unless you wanted newer Ada 2012 toys...

i would like access to newer Ada 2012 toys :-)

more generally,
i don't want to test my software on a platforms list as long as possible.
i want to conceptually make it as portable as possible, and then i hope
users will report bugs,
this way, i'll be able to enhance portability :-)

the specific problem i have, is that there was already a fix, and that
it wouldn't be fine to revert it while improving other thing ...

that's why i hope someone could help me just for this fix, even without
looking at my software :-)