From: Thomas <fantome.forums.tDeContes@free.fr.invalid>
Subject: Re: RAPID
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:48:21 +0200	[thread overview]

In article <a190b236-0957-44e6-8d29-b8b244304173n@googlegroups.com>,
 Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 3:28:15 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > In article <cc5120b0-152b-4639>,
> > Shark8 wrote:
> >
> > > One such possible nicety would be a universal administration tool,
> > > another
> > > would be a data-management/-analysis tool for visiting scientists,
> > > another
> > > possibility would be decoupling several control-programs (codebases in
> > > everything from C to VB to C#) used to operate the instrumentation here
> > > from
> > > their host-systems and increase portability.
> > not sure to understand all what theese tools are doing,
> >
> > do you think that you understood what RAPID does,
> > and that it could help you to make all UI of theese tools ?
> Perhaps I should explain: where I am we have a system that was grown over the
> space of 30 years, portions are custom programs, portions are things like
> cron-jobs.
> I would ultimately like to clean things up so that there is minimal
> dependence on OSes, allowing us to change out as-needed, and using a single
> language (Ada) to increase maintainability and correctness/consistency of the
> system.

so you might like HAC Ada Compiler :-)
(it seems to be an interpreter rather than a Compiler)

i don't use it myself,
but someone on the french ada list said that it is very nice to use
instead of Bash

https://hacadacompiler.sourceforge.io/

> > i would like to ask you to try to compile RAPID and test it,
> >

> > before i need to ask you:
> >
> > - if you have a subversion client.
> > on Linux it shouldn't be a problem.
> > that's only for the time you want to test my patches, you needn't it for
> > public versions.
> > for the other platforms you should be able to copy the code internally,
> > from the Linux one.
> Hm, I see... it might take me a bit to set up a linux computer for such use;
> we have training for new personnel and the computer I would use is
> time-shared with operations, so I'll have to make sure the system is free
> when I want to do things.

the important point is the subversion client.
you may find it for your platform, or you may create a virtual machine
on your computer, with Linux as guest.

if it's too dificult, i can send you zip files instead.

> > - which kind of graphical toolkits are available, on each platform you
> > need to run RAPID (or what it will have generated).
> I'm not entirely sure about the full set yet; the most-used UI for the system
> is a Java program, run under Solaris.

ok.
is it required to continue to use Java UI via ada, or are you able to
replace it by any available UI ?

currently, RAPID knows only GtkAda (2.24.4 for the moment) and Tash.

but it is designed to easily add more graphical toolkits.

there was a peer for java.
i removed it because it was made for Ada-Java Interfacing Suite, which
is not free, so I can't afford to maintain it.
but if you need it, it's easy to recover what i removed (then if you
need my help i'll need an access to your computer)

i think there was a peer for a Windows-specific graphical toolkits too,
anyway we can imagine it.

if you create a virtual machine, you can use ubuntu 16.04, it's the one
i currently use to maintain RAPID, so it has the right version of GtkAda

--
RAPID maintainer
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rapid/