* Renaissance-Ada, a toolset  for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-27 12:32 Pierre van de Laar
From: Pierre van de Laar @ 2022-01-27 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,

We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a toolset  for legacy Ada software, open source:
https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada

The Renaissance-Ada project builds on top of LibAdalang and includes the following functionality

* Dependency Graph Extractor that produces a graphml file for visualization and querying with e.g. yEd and Neo4J.
* Rejuvenation Library that allow analysis and manipulation of Ada code based on concrete patterns.
* Rewriters_Library that enables automatic rewriting of Ada code based on concrete patterns.
* Code Reviewer that automatically reviews Ada code based on a large list of rewrite rules.

If you have any question about this toolset don’t hesitate to contact me!

Yours sincerely,
   Pierre van de Laar
   Research Fellow
   TNO-ESI

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-27 12:55 ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-01-27 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27/01/2022 12:32, Pierre van de Laar wrote:
> Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,
>
> We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a toolset  for legacy Ada software, open source:
> https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada

What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28  2:23   ` Andreas ZEURCHER
From: Andreas ZEURCHER @ 2022-01-28  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 6:55:11 AM UTC-6, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> On 27/01/2022 12:32, Pierre van de Laar wrote:
> > Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,
> >
> > We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, open source:
> > https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada
> >
> What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
I would suspect that “for legacy Ada software” might be a euphemistic way of saying:  doesn't support modern Ada after either Ada83 or Ada95.

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 10:10     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-01-28 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/01/2022 02:23, Andreas ZEURCHER wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 6:55:11 AM UTC-6, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>> On 27/01/2022 12:32, Pierre van de Laar wrote:
>>> Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,
>>>
>>> We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, open source:
>>> https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada
>>>
>> What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
> I would suspect that “for legacy Ada software” might be a euphemistic way of saying:  doesn't support modern Ada after either Ada83 or Ada95.

I kind of read is as, they made a toolset ages ago and have ported it to
libadalang. But if it's new, why only support older Ada when you've
based it on a newer Ada, especially a newer ada lib?

It's weird.

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 10:27   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-01-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com> writes:

> On 27/01/2022 12:32, Pierre van de Laar wrote:
>> Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,
>> We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a
>> toolset  for legacy Ada software, open source:
>> https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada
>>

> What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?

Looking at the link, it seems that it's software that has been just
growing, to the point at which it's becoming unmaintainable. I don't see
anything that says Ada83 (though software with that sort of problem is
likely to have been around for a long time).

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 11:42     ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2022-01-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

fredag den 28. januar 2022 kl. 03.23.32 UTC+1 skrev Andreas ZEURCHER:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 6:55:11 AM UTC-6, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> > What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
> I would suspect that “for legacy Ada software” might be a euphemistic way of saying: doesn't support modern Ada after either Ada83 or Ada95.

The video [1] from the README tells an up-to-date Ada success story.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHrd-9wgALM

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 12:31       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-01-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Quorning <jesper.quorning@gmail.com> writes:

> fredag den 28. januar 2022 kl. 03.23.32 UTC+1 skrev Andreas ZEURCHER:
>> On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 6:55:11 AM UTC-6, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>> > What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
>> I would suspect that “for legacy Ada software” might be a
>> euphemistic way of saying: doesn't support modern Ada after either
>> Ada83 or Ada95.
>
> The video [1] from the README tells an up-to-date Ada success story.
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHrd-9wgALM

Interesting!

I found myself using a case statement rather than an if so as to avoid a
'use type': U is an Interfaces.Unsigned_16,

   case U is
      when 1 => do one thing;
      when others => do something else;
   end case;

which you can see being problematic if the tooling converts this to an
if statement. Of course, without the 'use type' it won't compile.

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 13:58         ` Jeffrey R.Carter
From: Jeffrey R.Carter @ 2022-01-28 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-01-28 13:31, Simon Wright wrote:

> I found myself using a case statement rather than an if so as to avoid a
> 'use type': U is an Interfaces.Unsigned_16,
>
>     case U is
>        when 1 => do one thing;
>        when others => do something else;
>     end case;

These days you can use "in"

if U in 1 then

"Write clearly--don't sacrifice clarity for 'efficiency.'"
Elements of Programming Style

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-28 20:01     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-01-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas ZEURCHER <ZUERCHER_Andreas@outlook.com> writes:

> On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 6:55:11 AM UTC-6, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>> On 27/01/2022 12:32, Pierre van de Laar wrote:
>> > Dear Members of comp.lang.ada,
>> >
>> > We would like to inform you that we have made Renaissance-Ada, a
>> > toolset for legacy Ada software, open source:
>> > https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada
>> >
>> What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
> I would suspect that “for legacy Ada software” might be a euphemistic
> way of saying: doesn't support modern Ada after either Ada83 or Ada95.

Except that it's based on libadalang, which supports Ada 2022, as well
as previous versions.

So I'm guess "legacy" refers to wanting/needing to adapt old Ada code to
a new compiler and/or environement, requirements, etc. Tools for
automatic rewrite would be handy for that.

They could easily leave out "legacy" - rewriting cann be useful for
recent code as well. But maybe their marketing department thinks there's
a niche that they can more easily sell to?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-29  9:26     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2022-01-29  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28.01.22 11:27, Simon Wright wrote:

>>> https://github.com/TNO/Renaissance-Ada
>>>

>> What does "for legacy Ada software" mean?
>
> Looking at the link, it seems that it's software that has been just
> growing, to the point at which it's becoming unmaintainable. I don't see
> anything that says Ada83 (though software with that sort of problem is
> likely to have been around for a long time).

The presentation seems to be openly addressing "legacy / technical debt".
Referring to an large code base.

The README in, e.g.,  Dependency_Graph_Extractor lists some
contemporary Versions of compiler and tools.

Speculating, an ever more complex and changing language requires
efforts becoming correspondingly more complex and changing.
I understand that recent GNATs have dropped some support for less
recent editions of the Ada language.

Anyway, if Renaissance-Ada extracts information about programs, it adds clarity.
That seems helpful, as it saves time and money - if that's what you
want to achieve.

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-29  9:49       ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-01-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

G.B. schrieb am Samstag, 29. Januar 2022 um 10:26:36 UTC+1:
> I understand that recent GNATs have dropped some support for less
> recent editions of the Ada language.

Hu? Examples please.

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-29 18:35         ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2022-01-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29.01.22 10:49, AdaMagica wrote:
> G.B. schrieb am Samstag, 29. Januar 2022 um 10:26:36 UTC+1:
>> I understand that recent GNATs have dropped some support for less
>> recent editions of the Ada language.
>
> Hu? Examples please.

gnat1: invalid switch: -gnat83

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-29 19:43           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-01-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"G.B." <bauhaus@notmyhomepage.invalid> writes:

> On 29.01.22 10:49, AdaMagica wrote:
>> G.B. schrieb am Samstag, 29. Januar 2022 um 10:26:36 UTC+1:
>>> I understand that recent GNATs have dropped some support for less
>>> recent editions of the Ada language.
>> Hu? Examples please.
>
> gnat1: invalid switch: -gnat83

This is still accepted in FSF GCC 11, 12. GNAT CE, on the other hand
... who knows why

* Re: Renaissance-Ada, a toolset for legacy Ada software, made open source
@ 2022-01-30 16:16             ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-01-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNAT CE only supports the newest Ada generation. Quite annoying. This has been so since at least 2016.