From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Working around -freestanding limitations?
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:14:28 +0300	[thread overview]

On 2023-04-01 15:26, Hou Van Boere wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I know there are several floss RTOS option for us but I don't really
> need all of the supports they offer and they just make things more
> complex.

Certainly using most RTOS from Ada is more complex than using an Ada RTS
from Ada.

Do you want to use tasking at all? Or just a single thread?

> Here are my goals:
>
> 1)I want to build my own circuit board with a microprocessor not microcontroller.

Can you explain why? Input/output is often more complex with a
microprocessor (I assume you mean something that could run a PC or a
tablet) than with a microcontroller. A microprocessor may need a lot of
complex initialization and driver SW which you can get in some RTOS but
not in an Ada RTS. And I believe that circuit-board design is more
complex for microprocessors than for microcontrollers, however I have no
experience with either case.

> 2)I want to run with gcc/gnatmake ... -freestanding
>
> 3)I only need the Ada 83 subset, which I guess is pretty close to Ravenscaler

I see the Ada 83 tasking features as almost orthogonal to Ravenscar. Ada
83 has no protected objects, and all inter-task communication must be
done with rendez-vous using task entries. Ravenscar forbids task entries
and rendez-vous and substitutes protected objects. Both work, but
Ravenscar is perhaps more resistant to deadlock errors.