From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada-Comment proposals (version 3)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:11:45 -0500
Date: 2014-07-15T17:11:45-05:00	[thread overview]

"Simon Clubley" <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> wrote in
message news:lq3nt1$hd9$1@dont-email.me...
> On 2014-07-13, Simon Clubley
> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> wrote:
>> I've sent the final version to Ada-Comment. The only change over this
>> version was to alter the read-modify-write text as suggested by Niklas.
>>

> I am a little unsure about the timescale for what happens next.
>
> Looking at the status attributes for some existing Ada Issues/ACs, it
> looks to be about a month or two between reception of an email and any
> decisions about any possible further action at some point in the future.
> Is that correct ?

Well, the only deadline for processing incoming mail is the next meeting.
And I've sometimes even missed that (although has usually happened when I
had a lot going on, not true at the moment). The next meeting is in October.

Anyway, the next step is for the editor and chair to perform triage (putting
threads that are either decided or have no hope into ACs where they usually
stay forever). In this case, as these are Amendment ideas, it's almost
certain that they'll be put into AI form.

The next step after that is to consider them at a meeting (we almost never
take an action based only on e-mail, except at the very start). Since we're
not formally working on a future Ada standard at the moment, Amendment ideas
are considered only when we have extra time during a meeting, and thus
whether or when they progress is somewhat random. (The October meeting is
shorter than usual, so I'm not expecting much work on Amendments at that
meeting.) It doesn't matter until we formally decide to make a revision or
amendment to the Ada standard, and who knows when we'll decide to start on
that.

>> As requested by the Ada 2012 LRM, I sent it as two emails, one per
>> issue raised.
>>

> It will be interesting to see how the issues raised in both emails have
> been received. :-)

Did you join the Ada-Comment list, so you can see any ensuing discussion.
Tucker asked you a question this morning and hopefully you saw it. (I'm
going to answer it myself, but the original author probably ought to respond
as well.)