From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: String Buffer
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 20:51:30 +0000	[thread overview]

Kevin Chadwick <kevc3no4@gmail.com> writes:

> In Go they have strings.Builder. I assume that is what Text_Buffer is
> aimed to be. (Actually Go seems to have copied a lot from Ada such as
> AWS API, unless they both are similar to something else like JAVA).
>
> Is Text_Buffer usable today with GCC 11?

If you mean Universal Text Buffers, no. There is
Ada.Strings.Text_Output, but it looks as though that's actually an
internal package to support T'Put_Image - so probably best avoided.

GCC 12 has universal text buffers.

But I don't see that Ada.Strings.Text_Buffers.Unbounded is going to be
any more or less efficient than Unbounded_Strings?

I seem to remember that AdaCore made considerable performance
improvements to Unbounded_Strings, for example copy-on-write sharing.