From: "25.BX943" <25BZ493@nada.net>
Subject: Re: Comparing languages wrt energy, speed, and memory use
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:31:19 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/20/22 5:59 PM, Jerry wrote:
> This paper comparing 27 languages with respect to energy use, speed, and memory use is interesting. Of course Ada fares very well.
>
> https://greenlab.di.uminho.pt/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/sleFinal.pdf
>
> It is linked from this Slashdot page which I'm sure is full of useless chatter.
>
> https://developers.slashdot.org/story/22/02/20/0143226/is-it-more-energy-efficient-to-program-in-rust

   After 30+ years, I started messing around with FORTRAN again.
   One of the things I noticed in the various help notes online
   was that programmers were actually comparing the numbers of
   cycles and executables size for various ways of solving any
   particular problem.

   This sort of thinking is rarely seen these days except in the
   microcontroller universe - and less even there because the
   RAM/ROM and speed of those devices has increased.

   ADA is another language where overall "efficiency" gets at
   least some consideration.

   With energy costs rising, maybe it's time to see MORE of these
   discussions and comparisons. Global warming be damned - this is
   a MONEY issue !  :-)

   Oh, and rising power costs may disappear the crypto sector.
   Those boxes full of GPUs calculating like mad - the power
   usage is stupendous. Once the energy in begins to exceed the
   value of the Bitcoins out - it's all over.