From: "G.B." <bauhaus@notmyhomepage.invalid>
Subject: Re: [Off-Topic] Python gets :=
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:37:04 +0200
Date: 2018-07-21T10:37:04+02:00	[thread overview]

On 21.07.18 09:50, Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> writes:
>> Was not a variable assignment something already known in those dark
>> ages back in 1989 when Python was designed?

> I don't think Ada has that feature.  It's not something to fight wars
> about, but I do find it useful sometimes in both C and Python.

Also, GvR is known to have preferred simple existing solutions
even when that meant lack of certain features useful sometimes.
An example is "reduce": use a for loop instead.

However, putting more meaning on just one long line is currently
quite popular, and marketeable. Consider "for streams" of current
Java, e.g.. What if Java were to have a parallel loop instead?