From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: gnatcoll_db2ada problem "Database not supported:"
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:26:51 +0100
Date: 2019-12-27T12:26:51+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2019-12-27 11:48, George J wrote:

> And my question is. What if i already have some big database and want to create an Ada app to work with.

That is 80% of the cases.

> Can i work with it in the same way?

You can work in a normal way, i.e. create environment (if required),
open connection, prepare statement, bind parameters, execute statement,
fetch results. It is no rocket science.

> May be i don't know something. Or i can work with db file with connecting to him and send direct SQL queries?

That is the way to do it.

> I've never worked with databases with Ada so this theme is very difficult for me now. But interesting)

Ada does not differ in working with DB to any other language.

I understand that you are stuck with some higher-level DB client
abstraction. I would tentatively suggest to use a more direct method.

In my view if abstraction is needed, then it must be higher, e.g. a
persistency layer abstracting all DB and whole SQL mess away. Otherwise,
it only complicates the ugly stuff, IMO.

P.S. Talking about big databases, SQLite3 is absolutely unsuitable for
dealing with a big database. It is not an intended use case of.