From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org>
Subject: Re: sdlada, löve, and programming for beginners
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 22:53:13 -0600
Date: 2020-02-09T22:53:13-06:00	[thread overview]

On 2/9/2020 11:34 AM, Rick Newbie wrote:

> On the topic of teenage programmers: Although I am not a teenager I am
> new to Ada. What is repelling is when you read Barne's book and you
> throw up your arms and think: How am I ever going to master all that?!

One of the reasons a programming language become less popular
is that it becomes more complicated with time.

Look at what happened to C++. Same with Ada. They start
relatively small and simple, and each few years, they update
the standard and add more complication and "advanced" features
so that few could understand it all. This has also happened
to Fortran with addition of OO to it, where it is as complex as
C++ and Ada. Fortran used to be very simple language.

One of the reason why python is so popular (even though I think
it is a horrible language myself) is that it is "simple".

There should be something in between. A simple, yet well designed
and strongly typed language. That is why I liked Pascal the
most of all the languages I programmed in (followed by Ada).

--Nasser