From: Chris Sykes <chris@amtiskaw.net>
Subject: Re: sdlada, löve, and programming for beginners
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 19:10:46 +0000
Date: 2020-02-11T19:10:46+00:00	[thread overview]

On 08/02/2020 11:40, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> So it occurred to me that LÖVE is really a Lua binding to SDL plus a
> predefined event loop, and that it would be quite easy to do something
> similar based on the sdlada thick binding.  The goal would be to attract
> teenage programmers to the language and to programming in general.
> Possibly on a Raspberry Pi.  I'd be willing to make a Debian package for
> it.  What do you think?

FWIW, I think it's an excellent idea.

One of the most important things for a beginner is being able to achieve
visible results from simple code.  So something that allows you to draw to
the screen and respond to user input, while minimum boiler-plate code
(often confusing to newbies) really helps.

If you're looking for inspiration for some demos/examples, you should
checkout the "One Lone Coder" videos on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-yuWVUplUJZvieEligKBkA/featured

He has written a really simple "game engine" in C++ along the same lines,
and (IMO) his projects show just how valuable lowering the barriers to
experimentation can be.  Lots of fun too!