From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Julia for Next-Generation Airborne Collision Avoidance System
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 08:57:08 +0200
Date: 2020-04-08T08:57:08+02:00	[thread overview]

On 2020-04-08 06:45, Jerry wrote:
> You can find these words
>
> Safer Skies
> The Federal Aviation Administration is using Julia to develop the Next-Generation Airborne Collision Avoidance System
>
> at this link
>
> https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies/lincoln-labs.html.
>
> Do they plan to field a final product in Julia? The article is unclear on this point.

Jets do not fly anymore. So why not? (:-))

P.S. I made Ada bindings to Julia, for I wished to try it as an
alternative to Python for scripting.

Unfortunately I could not use Julia bindings beyond rudimentary tests,
because Julia builds are incompatible with MinGW. If you have some
third-party libraries in C they will collide with Julia's C run-time.

And Julia cannot be built from sources under MSYS either. Apparently it
could be some years ago, but then they broke something and it does not
work anymore. It's serious avionics stuff... (:-))

Furthermore Julia does not have loadable modules one could
recompile/load once and call multiple times without compiling them each
time. I would not try to use it in a medium to large size system
regardless the language qualities, which are not brilliant either.

All in one, an obvious candidate for safer skies...