From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Hardware independent programming
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 09:25:39 +0200	[thread overview]

On 02/07/2020 08:15, ldries46 wrote:

> If we want to create hardware or operating system independent programs
> it is in some situations necessary to use environmental variable from
> which a package in Ada or in other languages can get values from.
> The names of these values should then in all these systems the same.

It is the OS and the OS major release, e.g. like WIN32_WINNT numbers:
16#400# is NT 4.0, 16#502 is XP etc. It is the architecture x86_64,
armhf etc. It is the host machine and target machine in the case of
cross compiling.

But most of this can be abstracted away if AdaCore put more efforts
into. E.g. the notorious case is pragma Atomic. If the compiler
supported it for all architectures there would be almost no need to
distinguish 32 and 64-bit targets.