From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Newbie question # 2
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:41:35 +0200	[thread overview]

On 06/08/2020 20:40, Ian Douglas wrote:

> I did try Google search and assorted books but could not find answer.
>
> In PHP, let's say we have a variable $fruit which contains the string "banana".
>
> In PHP, if I do $$fruit, then it creates a variable $banana, which I can then do things with.

You cannot, because you do not know its name before program run, so you
will have to keep on using indirection "$fruit" rather than the direct
name "banana".

> Does Ada support any such concept of taking the contents of one variable and using THAT as a variable?

Sure. Indirection is supported in almost all known programming
languages. You can have a map: string->value. Here string is "banana",
or an array: index->value etc.

> I'm reading in a file which has a name of an object followed by some properties so I want to use the name as a variable ...
> File is something I created, so it's not some random stuff, and the variables will be existing already.

This would be filling a predefined map reading it from the file in the
form of (key,value) pairs. Just deserialization of a map with fixed keys.