From: antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl
Subject: Re: Multiple dispatch in Julia
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 12:43:27 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> On 13/11/2020 13:55, antispam@math.uni.wroc.pl wrote:
> > Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Either you have static typing or not. But there is no disagreement. You
> >> said you do not know how to implement multiple dispatch (while keeping
> >> the language statically typed), I said same thing.
> >
> > I do not see why failure (error) during dispatch would
> > conflict with static typing.
>
> Because it violates typing. A multiple dispatch method is declared as
> acting on the whole Cartesian product of classes of arguments and/or the
> result. Violating that is type error. In Ada you cannot declare such
> methods ARM 3.9.2 (12).

OK, Ada defines it own terminology, conflicting with terminology
used outside Ada.  Since this discussion clearly goes beyond
Ada features my assumption was that general terminology applies.

Anyway, I think that I know what you are saying.  I strongly
disagree with several your views, but new arguments are
unlikely to appear, so I skip most things.  But I can not
resit comment about your integer addition example...

> > As long as it is detected at runtime
> > program will produce correct result or signal error.
>
> Limited effect of an error does not make it no error. You can implement
> addition so that it would sporadically return wrong results.

Most languages do so...

> If you can
> detect that the result is incorrect would such detection magically make
> it right?

Standard Ada detects overflow instead of returning result.
Is Ada wrong?  I usualy do integer arithmetic in language where
overflow is impossible, but it can run out of memory.  It is
impossible to do better.  Is world fundamentally wrong?

--
                              Waldek Hebisch