* Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-03-26 17:14 J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2021-03-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's been a long time since the latest public release of AdaControl. But
let me reassure my fellow users: AdaControl development and improvement
never ceased, and Adalog is very active about it.

The latest wavefront versions are available on SourceForge
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/adacontrol/) and GitHub
(https://github.adalog.fr).

There is an issue with the community edition though:
Last year, AdaCore separated the ASIS generator from the regular
compiler - it is a new program called asis-gcc.

asis-gcc is part of a package called Asistools which is distributed only
to Pro users. It is not part of the CE edition. This does not affect
only AdaControl: gnatcheck has also been removed.

There is no problem for Pro users, and our own supported users receive
updates regularly.

Debian and FSF-Gnat users, as well as users who stay with CE2019, will
still be able to compile AdaControl, however it may crash sometimes due
to not incorporating fixes for the latest issues that were discovered
with the new features of AdaContol. These have been reported to AdaCore
(and fixed).

However, we are not able to provide a compiled version for CE2020 users,
which is what prevents us from making a complete release. We are
investigating solutions for these CE users that we, at Adalog, want to
continue to fully support without restrictions!

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-03-26 21:13 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2021-03-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> writes:

> There is an issue with the community edition though:
> Last year, AdaCore separated the ASIS generator from the regular
> compiler - it is a new program called asis-gcc.
>
> asis-gcc is part of a package called Asistools which is distributed
> only to Pro users. It is not part of the CE edition. This does not
> affect only AdaControl: gnatcheck has also been removed.

FSF GCC 11 doesn't support ASIS either.

This will mean no gnatmetric, gnatpp, gnatstub, gnattest for macOS
users, at least until I can escape the branch hell that's stopping me
building libadalang!

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-03-26 21:25 ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2021-03-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2021-03-26 19:14, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> There is an issue with the community edition though:
> Last year, AdaCore separated the ASIS generator from the regular
> compiler - it is a new program called asis-gcc.
>
> asis-gcc is part of a package called Asistools which is distributed only
> to Pro users. It is not part of the CE edition. This does not affect
> only AdaControl: gnatcheck has also been removed.
>
> There is no problem for Pro users, ...

Well, last time I asked, as a Pro user, AdaCore wanted extra lucre for
the ASIS tools. So, a little problem...

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-05-09 20:41 ` Gautier write-only address
From: Gautier write-only address @ 2021-05-09 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the following blog post, you can find installation notes for using GNAT CE 2019 - just for the purpose of running AdaControl free edition!
https://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/cleaning-up-hac-sources-with-adacontrol.html
A bit tedious, but doable. Hopefully the community will see again in the future, from time to time, updated snapshots with GNAT, ASIS and AdaControl "synchronized"...

The post also shows a demonstration of AdaControl "in action". Amazing tool!

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-05-09 23:13   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2021-05-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 May 2021, Gautier write-only address wrote
(in article<f249a5c4-2017-4919-b872-77e86718809fn@googlegroups.com>):

> In the following blog post, you can find installation notes for using GNAT CE
> 2019 - just for the purpose of running AdaControl free edition!
> https://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/2021/04/cleaning-up-hac-sources-with-adacont
> rol.html
> A bit tedious, but doable. Hopefully the community will see again in the
> future, from time to time, updated snapshots with GNAT, ASIS and AdaControl
> "synchronized"...
>
> The post also shows a demonstration of AdaControl "in action". Amazing tool!

It says: "In Pascal, you never know which dialect or implementation will
check that a loop"for i:= a to b do..." will actually be skipped if a >  b."

This is false.
If the body of the loop is executed when a>b then the language
of the "dialect or implementation" is quite simply not Pascal.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-05-10  4:34     ` Gautier write-only address
From: Gautier write-only address @ 2021-05-10  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If the body of the loop is executed when a>b then the language
> of the "dialect or implementation" is quite simply not Pascal.

Since it would be difficult for me to dig out each and every Pascal compiler I've used in order to check that point, I have removed the reference to Pascal.

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2021-05-10  7:44       ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2021-05-10  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/10/21 6:34 AM, Gautier write-only address wrote:
>> If the body of the loop is executed when a>b then the language
>> of the "dialect or implementation" is quite simply not Pascal.
>
> Since it would be difficult for me to dig out each and every Pascal compiler I've used in order to check that point, I have removed the reference to Pascal.

/Pascal User Manual and Report/ (Jensen and Wirth) explicitly defines the for
statement as skipping the repeated statement if a > b (for "to"; a < b for
"downto").

"Insufficient laughter--that's grounds for divorce."
Play It Again, Sam

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2022-03-24 19:05   ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2022-03-24 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <lysg4h1uv0.fsf@pushface.org>,
 Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> FSF GCC 11 doesn't support ASIS either.
>
> This will mean no gnatmetric, gnatpp, gnatstub, gnattest for macOS
> users, at least until I can escape the branch hell that's stopping me
> building libadalang!

gnatpp had already been used to make RAPID.

i think gnatstub too, even if i can't really say it,
anyway i would like to use it sometimes, even if it's not very often.

--
RAPID maintainer
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rapid/

* Re: Status of AdaControl
@ 2022-03-24 20:36     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-03-24 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas <fantome.forums.tDeContes@free.fr.invalid> writes:

> In article <lysg4h1uv0.fsf@pushface.org>,
>  Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>
>> FSF GCC 11 doesn't support ASIS either.
>>
>> This will mean no gnatmetric, gnatpp, gnatstub, gnattest for macOS
>> users, at least until I can escape the branch hell that's stopping me
>> building libadalang!
>
> gnatpp had already been used to make RAPID.
>
> i think gnatstub too, even if i can't really say it, anyway i would
> like to use it sometimes, even if it's not very often.

I'd escaped the branch hell by the time I released the 11.2.0 build. The
answer was basically to use a matching set of AdaCore's tags on
libadalang etc