From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Proliferation of Reserved Words
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 00:54:31 -0500	[thread overview]

At least twice it was proposed that Ada have "keywords", identifiers with
special meaning in the syntax but that were not reserved. The last time (and
I forget precisely when that was), the ARG had a slight majority in favor of
unreserved keywords as well as reserved words. However, it was resoundly
rejected at the WG 9 level. At that time, WG 9 still voted by countries, and
it turned out that pretty much everyone in favor of unreserved keywords were
from North America. Most Europeans were appalled. Of course, that meant a WG
9 vote with 2 in favor and a large number against.

So whenever you think there are too many reserved words in Ada, be assured
that it was repeatedly suggested that they not all be reserved, but certain
countries would not allow it. At this point, we've given up, since it really
would not help much - the majority of words that likely ever be reserved
already are (it would most likely matter if a new proposal tried to reserve
some commonly used term - "yield" came up some some proposals for Ada 202x
that didn't go anywhere).

Jeff Carter should note the 8 different uses for "with" in the syntax before
he accuses anyone of not reusing reserved words in Ada. It's just the case
that it's hard to write something meaningful with the existing reserved
words (we almost always try).

"parallel" is an interesting case. In my world view, it is wildly different
from a task, because it is *checked*, does not *block* or *synchronize* with
another thread (all synchronization is via objects or completion), is
automatically created (in looping constructs) and therefore requires
substantial less care than writing a task.  There is another world-view
where essentially the checking is not worthwhile and ergo must be
suppressed, that performance matters to the point at which a compiler isn't
allowed to make choices, and essentially requires *more* care than a task.
In that second world-view, parallel constructs are either harmful or
worthless. But even there, having a keyword makes it a lot easier to avoid
them than trying to figure out which libraries to block. :-)