From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Proliferation of Reserved Words
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:18:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/2/21 8:13 PM, AdaMagica wrote:
> accept, entry vs. procedure, procedure body
>
> This discussion really is 40 years late.

Regarding what we have in Ada, sure. Regarding whether we can or should do more
to avoid new reserved words in the future, no. And if there is ever a successor
language, this is something that should be considered.

> But entries and procedures are in fact very different beasts.

Under the hood, yes. In appearance and how they are called, not so much. And
that seems like the important thing.

> Ultimatey, we could perhaps do with just one reserved word called keyword. Depending on the place where is stands makes it clear what it means:
> keyword I keyword 1..10 keyword
>    X(I) := I + 1;
> Keyword;

I'm pretty sure that last line should be

keyword keyword;

> Hm, perhaps a bit extreme :-)

Well, some people write Whitespace, but for Ada, probably.

"I did not rob a bank. If I'd robbed a bank, everything
would be great. I tried to rob a bank, is what happened,
and they got me."
Take the Money and Run