From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion about best practice with .gpr files
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:18:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/4/21 9:48 AM, Björn Lundin wrote:

> I can tell that you never used Alsys Ada on Aix then.

It's true I never used Alsys on Aix. My only use of Alsys was to supply some
existing units to test an early version of the PC compiler (which discovered a
compiler error).

I have used a wide variety of compilers in the last 37 years, and all of them
had the ability to automatically build, recompiling obsolete units, without an
extra compilation-order tool.

I have also worked on a number of very large projects, and all of them that were
all-Ada could have been built solely using the compiler and simple shell scripts.

The important qualification in my claim is that the project must be all Ada.
When you decide to include things like

> on that we support Oracle/Postgressql/MS-sql-server
> And 3 different ways of doing IPC (pipes/sem+shared mem/rabbitMQ)

then you add complications that this approach cannot deal with.

"I soiled my armor, I was so scared."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail