From: "Björn Lundin" <b.f.lundin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Suggestion about best practice with .gpr files
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:53:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Den 2021-06-04 kl. 14:52, skrev Simon Wright:
> Björn Lundin <b.f.lundin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So the whole system was built with korn-shell files stating
>
> I once did some work porting a Solaris system to Unix. They had migrated
> to GNAT, but compilation was managed using a set of c-shell scripts
> whose maintainer (one of the project managers told me) had made them his
> life's work.

Yeah - but in our case everybody hated them.
Quite some of my colleges had worked on VAX/VMS and the DEC Ada compiler
They say it had 'recompile *' which worked.

This AIX port with Alsys did not.
It had some kind of internal database to keep state of compiled files.
And sometimes it locked up - and it was not fun to fiddle around to
unlock it just to be able to compile.
I MUCH prefer gnats file model - even if I know other here suggests a db
is better.

> This would have been about 1999, so I had to use gnatmake, and I'm not
> even sure whether project files existed, but it was _such_ an
> improvement.

I ported our system around 2003 to gnat - first AIX then windows.
And porting to other targets having the same compiler makes it so much
easier.

I do understand that maintainer.
My tcl glue was really good (he says shamelessly)
Taht means that it worked, and nobody needed to understand it.
Or learn tcl - which in the long run was one reason to move to gpr-files.

Sitting on a solution that nobody knows how to fix if it breaks is no fun.

--
Björn