From: "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com>
Subject: Re: Janus Ada 1.5 Ada cp/m manuals
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 10:16:22 +0100	[thread overview]

On 17/08/2021 08:23, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> "Luke A. Guest" <laguest@archeia.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Does anyone have electronic copies? They're not in the zips available.
>
> Unfortunately, they don't exist. The original source was for a
> photo-typesetter that hasn't existed for decades (and mostly likely is only
> stored on 8" floppies that probably aren't readable even if the right
> hardware was available).

There are a few retro youtube channels who could handle getting any old
hardware working if you have it and are willing to donate or lend it to
them, retro recipes, rmc, 8-bit guy, etc.

> The only way for them to exist is for someone to scan a printed version.
>
> I have a single printed version in our archives (with installation
> instructions for 8" floppies dated March 5, 1984). Its got someone's
> hardwritten notes in it (it's not pristine). Anyway, since it is the only
> known version, I won't let it out of the office, since it is literally
> irreplaceable.
>
> I've offered to others to scan it to PDFs (one per page, that's all I can
> figure out how to do on our cheap multifunction machine here) if someone

Maybe you should let someone come in with their own laptop and scanner
to do it.

> BTW, since RRS still exists and never made a public version for any version
> of Janus/Ada (including the CP/M versions) -- because all of the versions
> are derived from the same original source and it is likely that some of the
> compiler still survives from those versions) -- using it without a license
> is technically infringing. I don't think there is much chance that anyone
> would try to stop non-commercial use, but I would suggest getting legal if
> anything commercial is involved. (And yes, we periodically get requests for
> help with it from users that I would have expected to have moved on long
> ago.)

Seriously? Even Caldera released CP/M tot he public and Amstrad released
the source to the Spectrum ROM's.