* Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021  free edition
@ 2021-10-02  5:31 Leonid Dulman
From: Leonid Dulman @ 2021-10-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I'm please to announce AdaStudio-2021 new release,
based on Qt-6.2.0-everywhere Qt 6.2.0 opensource  without qtwebengine,extended with modules from Qt-5.15: qtgraphicaleffects  qtlocation  qtgamepad qtspeech qtx11extras qtwinextras
Qt 6 is new long time project and I hope to add qtwebengine in next releases.

Qt6ada version 6.2.0 open source and qt6base.dll ,qt6ext.dll (win64),libqt6base.so,libqt6txt.so(x86-64) built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2019  x64 Windows, gcc x86-64 in Linux.

Package tested with gnat gpl 2020 ada compiler in Windows 64bit , Linux x86-64 Debian 10.4
Qt-6.2.0 everywhere opensource prebuilt binaries for win64 and amd64 are included into AdaStudio-2021

AdaStudio-2021 includes next modules : qt6ada,vtkada,qt6avada,qt6cvada and voice recognizer.

Qt6Ada is built under  GNU GPLv3 license   https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html.

Qt6Ada modules for Windows, Linux (Unix) is available from
Google drive https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2QuZLoe-yiPbmNQRl83M1dTRVE&usp=sharing (It can be mounted as virtual drive with ExpandDrive (https://www.expandrive.com/download-expandrive/)), go to Adastudio directory and load index.html to browser.
Directory is
  AdaStudio - root
  qt6ada          - qt6ada components
                    qt-6.2win64.tar.bz2  - Qt-6.2.0 win64  prebuilt
                    qt-6.2amd64.tar.bz2  - Qt-6.2.0 x86-64 prebuilt
                    qt6adademos.tar.bz2  - qt6ada demos
                    qt6adasrc.tar.bz2    - qt6ada packages
                    qt6adawin64.tar.bz2  - qt6ada win64 binaries
                    qt6adax86-64.tar.bz2 - qt6ada x86-64 binaries

  qtavada         - qt6avada components
                    qt5avadasrc.tar.bz2    - qt6avada packages(qt5avada packages)
                    qt6avadademos.tar.bz2  - qt6avada demos
                    qt6avadawin64.tar.bz2  - qt6avada win64 binaries
                    qt6avadax86-64.tar.bz2 - qt6avada win64 binaries

  qtopencvada     - qt6opencvada componenets
                    opencv_4.5.2.win64.tar.bz2   - OpenCV 4.5.2 win64  prebuilt
                    opencv_4.5.2.x86-64.tar.bz2  - OpenCV 4.5.2 x86-64 prebuilt
                    qt6opencvadademos.tar.bz2    - qt6opencvada demos
                    qt6opencvadasrc.tar.bz2      - qt6opencvada packages
                    qt6opencvadawin64.tar.bz2    - qt6opencvada win64  binaries
                    qt6opencvadax86-64.tar.bz2   - qt6opencvada x86-64 binaries

  voicerecognizer - qt6ada voicerecognizer components
                    qt6speech2textwin64.tar.bz2   - qt6voicerecognizerada win64  binries
                    qt6speech2textx86-64.tar.bz2  - qt6voicerecognizerada x86-64 binries
                    speech2textdemo.tar.bz2       - qt6voicerecognizerada demos
                    speech2textsrc.tar.bz2        - qt6voicerecognizerada packages

  vtkada          - vtk6ada componenets
                    vtk-9.0.0.win64.tar.bz2 - VTK 9.0 win64  prebuilt
                    vtk9.0.x86-64.tar.bz2   - VTK 9.0 x86-64 prebuilt
                    vtkada9qt6.tar.bz2      - VTK 9.0 Qt6 modules prebuilt
                    vtkadademo.tar.bz2      - vtkada demos
                    vtkadasrc.tar.bz2       - vtkada packages
                    vtkadawin64.tar.bz2     - vtkada win64  binaries
                    vtkadax86-64.tar.bz2    - vtkada x86-64 binaries

The full list of released classes is in "Qt6 classes to Qt6Ada packages relation table.docx"

If you have any problems or questions, tell me know.

Leonid(leonid.dulman@gmail.com)

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-02 14:00 ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2021-10-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Leonid,

I have been following your work for a few years. I like the Qt ecosystem
(even with their change of heart) and very specially VTK. Thank you for
your work. I hope to use it in the future for my projects.

I first wanted to say that the webpage that is indicated on your CV and
where QtAda has been living is unreachable. Google says it has been
blocked since it is suspicious. Do you receive the same message?
[https://r3fowwcolhrzycn2yzlzzw-on.drv.tw/AdaStudio/adastudio.html]

> Qt6Ada is built under  GNU GPLv3 license   https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html.

Is it GPLv3 or LGPLv3? I am asking since you mention GPLv3 but link LGPLv3.

Once again, thank you for maintaining this lovely software suite!

--
Fernando Oleo Blanco
https://irvise.xyz

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-04 11:11   ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2021-10-04 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op 2-10-2021 om 16:00 schreef Fernando Oleo Blanco:
> Hi Leonid,
>
> I have been following your work for a few years. I like the Qt
> ecosystem (even with their change of heart) and very specially VTK.
> Thank you for your work. I hope to use it in the future for my projects.
>
> I first wanted to say that the webpage that is indicated on your CV
> and where QtAda has been living is unreachable. Google says it has
> been blocked since it is suspicious. Do you receive the same message?
> [https://r3fowwcolhrzycn2yzlzzw-on.drv.tw/AdaStudio/adastudio.html]
I get the same problem. Is there perhaps another way to reach this item.
I cannot say that it is google but I have tried it in windows 10 and in
Android

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-04 15:42     ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2021-10-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 13:11:24 +0200, ldries46 <bertus.dries@planet.nl>
declaimed the following:

>I get the same problem. Is there perhaps another way to reach this item.
>I cannot say that it is google but I have tried it in windows 10 and in
>Android

	Given that my attempt just now display the blocked message but also
showed the hosting company's menu at the bottom of the page (and I could
navigate its options)... I'd suspect it is the hosting company that is
doing the blocking.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-05  6:06       ` ldries46
From: ldries46 @ 2021-10-05  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op 4-10-2021 om 17:42 schreef Dennis Lee Bieber:

> 	Given that my attempt just now display the blocked message but also
> showed the hosting company's menu at the bottom of the page (and I could
> navigate its options)... I'd suspect it is the hosting company that is
> doing the blocking.

I have seen that but it gives me no possibility to enter the site. So
Leonid please create a better way to enter that site.

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-05 18:46   ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2021-10-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2/10/21 um 16:00 schrieb Fernando Oleo Blanco:
> Hi Leonid,
>
> I have been following your work for a few years. I like the Qt ecosystem
> (even with their change of heart) and very specially VTK. Thank you for
> your work. I hope to use it in the future for my projects.
>
> I first wanted to say that the webpage that is indicated on your CV and
> where QtAda has been living is unreachable. Google says it has been
> blocked since it is suspicious. Do you receive the same message?
> [https://r3fowwcolhrzycn2yzlzzw-on.drv.tw/AdaStudio/adastudio.html]
>
>> Qt6Ada is built under  GNU GPLv3 license
>> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html.
>>

> Is it GPLv3 or LGPLv3? I am asking since you mention GPLv3 but link LGPLv3.
>
> Once again, thank you for maintaining this lovely software suite!

Hi Leonid,

Last time I checked qt5ada I was surprised by the fact that it doesn't
include the source code for the C intermediate layer that you are using
to import the Qt classes (libqtc.so), and after a quick check now, I
think it is still not included. I don't know if this is an intended
omission or an oversight, but in any case, if you want to distribute it
as open source and under the GPL or LGPL licenses, you have to
distribute all the sources, so anyone can recompile the library and use
their own compilation. I am not a lawyer, but it seems that you are
infringing the license with your own distribution of your binding.

If this cannot be solved, I wouldn't recommend using this library. It's
unfortunate, because works like yours are highly needed in the Ada
ecosystem.

Best regards

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-06  3:14     ` Andreas ZEURCHER
From: Andreas ZEURCHER @ 2021-10-06  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-5, Manuel Gomez wrote:
> Am 2/10/21 um 16:00 schrieb Fernando Oleo Blanco:
> > Hi Leonid,
> >
> > I have been following your work for a few years. I like the Qt ecosystem
> > (even with their change of heart) and very specially VTK. Thank you for
> > your work. I hope to use it in the future for my projects.
> >
> > I first wanted to say that the webpage that is indicated on your CV and
> > where QtAda has been living is unreachable. Google says it has been
> > blocked since it is suspicious. Do you receive the same message?
> > [https://r3fowwcolhrzycn2yzlzzw-on.drv.tw/AdaStudio/adastudio.html]
> >
> >> Qt6Ada is built under GNU GPLv3 license
> >> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.html.
> >>

> > Is it GPLv3 or LGPLv3? I am asking since you mention GPLv3 but link LGPLv3.
> >
> > Once again, thank you for maintaining this lovely software suite!
> >
> Hi Leonid,
>
> Last time I checked qt5ada I was surprised by the fact that it doesn't
> include the source code for the C intermediate

Generated code is not source code, as it can be regenerated from unmodified GPL-/LGPL-compliant widely-available tools.  Just because it is C doesn't make it source code.  C code can be generated intermediate representation too, which it appears to be in this case.  What stops you from regenerating the intermediate C code just like Leonid does?  You have the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code.  Leonid has the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code.  All seems to be quite good there.

Now this is assuming that Leonid performs to hand editing of the generated C code.  Or if Leonid modifies the generated C code with scripts that the source code for the scripts are obtainable along with (or distributed with) each release of AdaStudio, so that you can invoke those scripts too, just like Leonid did.

@ 2021-10-06 19:06       ` Manuel Gomez
From: Manuel Gomez @ 2021-10-06 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 6/10/21 um 5:14 schrieb Andreas ZEURCHER:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-5, Manuel Gomez wrote:
>> Last time I checked qt5ada I was surprised by the fact that it doesn't
>> include the source code for the C intermediate
>
> Generated code is not source code, as it can be regenerated from unmodified GPL-/LGPL-compliant widely-available tools.  Just because it is C doesn't make it source code.  C code can be generated intermediate representation too, which it appears to be in this case.  What stops you from regenerating the intermediate C code just like Leonid does?  You have the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code.  Leonid has the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code.  All seems to be quite good there.
>
> Now this is assuming that Leonid performs to hand editing of the generated C code.  Or if Leonid modifies the generated C code with scripts that the source code for the scripts are obtainable along with (or distributed with) each release of AdaStudio, so that you can invoke those scripts too, just like Leonid did.

That is only moving the question one step away, since then you could
formulate it as 'where are the source scripts and/or instructions to
generate the intermediate C library'. Intermediate meaning here: layer
between Ada and the Qt C++ libraries. I wasn't assuming that there is
something wrong with the distribution, only that there's an issue that
needs clarification. Please note that this is not quick and unjustified
criticism, it comes from my failed attempt to use this binding with the
Qt libraries provided by Ubuntu (see [1]), which is one of the basic
freedoms granted by the GPL and LGPL, and restated by Qt as:

 > The user is allowed to change and re-link the library used in the
application or device [2]

[1] https://github.com/ohenley/qt5ada/issues/1
[2] https://www.qt.io/licensing/open-source-lgpl-obligations

* Re: Announce: AdaStudio-2021 release 01/10/2021 free edition
@ 2021-10-06 21:28         ` Fernando Oleo Blanco
From: Fernando Oleo Blanco @ 2021-10-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been playing today with qt5ada and I think I can shed some light
on the issue.

The Ada sources that call the Qt procedures are in the
AdaStudio/qt5ada/qt5adasrc.tar.bz2 file. That is the source file. There
are no C files there. That library contains all of the Ada wrapper.

However, that is indeed not enough to use it. It requires a fully
functional Qt5 installation (and a very complete one, with bells and
whistles). The binaries are provided in the other *.tar.bz2 files
(except the demos file). There is also the qt5adax86-64.tar.bz2 file
which weights about 6Mb. That seems to be the relevant file to build
qt5ada from source in Linux. It comes with different files to setup the
file structure and environment. I must admit, I have not tried to build
it with the provided files in qt5adax86-64.tar.bz2

These "build files" expect you to have a Qt5 installation in your local
/usr/local folder. I suppose that is where the qt5.15x86-64.tar.bz2
comes into place, after all, it should unpack in the directory written
in the environment file.

Of course, the question is: where are the instructions to build this all
from source? The short answer is in the document "How to use
Qt5Ada.docx" that is present in AdaStudio/qt5ada. That sheds more light
into the procedure. But it still expects you to use the precompiled Qt5
binary. And, I must be honest, it is not clear and easy to follow, you
need to adapt the generic instructions to what is on your system...

Then the question becomes: "How can I build _everything_ from source?
Specially with the system provided libraries, such as the system
provided Qt5." Well... That is not so simple. I understand why Leonid
has set up things this way. Correctly setting the compiler flags and
directories for system installed libraries is a nightmare. I tried to
compile qt5ada with my system provided Qt5 (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed), it is
not trivial _at all_. There can be problems with the Qt5 version, there
can be problems with the plugins, compiler flags, etc. Can it be done?
Most likely, but it will require some elbow grease. There is a reason to
why most Qt projects use CMAKE to build and link themselves; because it
is not an easy task.

So I would say that the instructions need to be cleaner and that in its
current state, there is only one easy solution to building qt5ada, and
it requires the binaries provided. But I would also say that all the
source files needed are in there. The prebuilt Qt5 binary seems to be
the standard unmodified Qt5 distribution, so no surprises there. And
that a lot of extra work would be needed to make qt5ada work seamlessly

@ 2021-10-07 14:44         ` Andreas ZEURCHER
From: Andreas ZEURCHER @ 2021-10-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 2:06:41 PM UTC-5, Manuel Gomez wrote:
> Am 6/10/21 um 5:14 schrieb Andreas ZEURCHER:
> > On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-5, Manuel Gomez wrote:
> >> Last time I checked qt5ada I was surprised by the fact that it doesn't
> >> include the source code for the C intermediate
> >
> > Generated code is not source code, as it can be regenerated from unmodified GPL-/LGPL-compliant widely-available tools. Just because it is C doesn't make it source code. C code can be generated intermediate representation too, which it appears to be in this case. What stops you from regenerating the intermediate C code just like Leonid does? You have the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code. Leonid has the widely-available tools with source code to generate the C code. All seems to be quite good there.
> >
> > Now this is assuming that Leonid performs to hand editing of the generated C code. Or if Leonid modifies the generated C code with scripts that the source code for the scripts are obtainable along with (or distributed with) each release of AdaStudio, so that you can invoke those scripts too, just like Leonid did.
> That is only moving the question one step away, since then you could
> formulate it as 'where are the source scripts and/or instructions to
> generate the intermediate C library'. Intermediate meaning here: layer
> between Ada and the Qt C++ libraries. I wasn't assuming that there is
> something wrong with the distribution,

You seem to be making a crystal-clear claim that the distribution of AdaStudio is omitting either hand-modified C code or Leonid's scripts from which the C code was somehow generated or post-generation manipulated, either in its post-generation manipulations of the C code via scripts or in its build scripts themselves.  Leonid would most certainly find it useful where your ability to utilize AdaStudio failed due to inability to regenerate the intermediate-representation C code, because that is either exposing his undistributed hand modifications (in seeming violation of the license) or that is exposing his undistributed scripts (in seeming violation of the license) or your incorrect utilization of the build environment of AdaStudio that is causing perfectly functioning perfectly legal-abiding C code generation to go awry.  Did you raise an official support-ticket/issue request with Leonid about your build problems regarding the intermediate-representation C code?