From: 711 Spooky Mart <711@spooky.mart>
Subject: Re: Ada versus Pascal
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 04:59:25 -0500	[thread overview]

On 10/22/21 1:18 AM, ldries46 wrote:

[...]

> Ada is stricter
> than other languages and is meant to have NO Operating system dependant
> items, so if you cannot go around something there must be a package on
> each operating system having the same interface everywhere.

By this do you mean the same syntax and libs will run on all target
systems without fiddling with {IFDEF} and architecture compiler switch
woo foo for USES and repetitive cross-arch boilerplate?

One thing I can't stand about Pascal is the totally different functions
and logic from several operating systems that MUST be re-written several
times in the same code base to do the same job. This drives me mad. In
fact it irks me so much I was thinking of writing some libraries for
things I do that would handle this all automatically across arches.
There would go a couple months of Sundays.

Think IPC with Pascal. Get a good IPC routine going for Linux in your
app, then you have to re-write it for MAC and Windows, and even some
other flavors of *nix.

So am I to understand that the Ada compiler has somehow eliminated this
problem, by ensuring every target OS has a syntactically conformant
package to execute its methods using the same statements?

If I'm understanding you rightly, even though Ada sounds like a much
more complex language than Pascal, it also sounds like it would have
less surprises across arches.

Please elaborate if I'm misunderstanding. And thanks to everyone else
who has responded.