From: "Jeffrey R.Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org.not>
Subject: Re: Empty String confusion; Positive and Natural
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:05:21 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2021-11-29 18:34, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> If something goes wrong and I run the create function with "" then the strings length is zero. Why is a string type Positive and not Natural, because empty strings are in fact useless?

I don't understand what you're asking. 'Length returns
universal_integer; it is independent of the index subtype. The index
subtype can even be non-numeric.

Programming by extension, emphasizing, as it does,
ease of writing over ease of reading, should be
avoided whenever possible by S/W engineers, and
used with the same reluctance and care that they
give to gotos and access types.