From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: How to call a Windows executable from Ada?
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 23:09:55 -0600	[thread overview]

It's hard to say anything definitive without seeing the code that you tried.
I haven't found a program that you couldn't run from Ada (using the
Janus/Ada facilities; GNAT's are more extensive so I wouldn't expect any
difference there), but some things require care. I've definitely never found
anything that you can't run by starting a command line processor; that
doesn't allow the real-time capture of the results by the calling program
but that wouldn't make sense with Winword.exe anyway.

                           Randy.

"Marius Amado-Alves" <amado.alves@gmail.com> wrote in message
Any *effectively working* solution for calling an external Windows
executable, with arguments, from inside Ada?

For example, the following command runs fine when given on the Windows
command line:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" /f "C:\long
path\with spaces\and accented letters\like in the words\declaração de
autorização.docx" /mSave_As_Txt

The same command FAILS when called from inside Ada with any of the know
"solutions" on GNAT gem [1] and Rosetta Code [2].

But there must be a way!

Share your good code.

Thanks.

[1] https://www.adacore.com/gems/gem-54