From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Some advice required [OT]
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:10:50 -0600	[thread overview]

"Laurent" <lutgenl@icloud.com> wrote in message
news:49538254-21ed-4fd0-8316-1bccc7d3c635n@googlegroups.com...
On Monday, 27 December 2021 at 12:16:27 UTC+1, Niklas Holsti wrote:

>> Also, if you do not intend to implement the solution in Ada, this is not
>> the right group to discuss it.

>I would very much prefer to solve it in Ada but at work I am stuck with
>Excel
>and VBA which is better than doing it manually. After a few hours starring
>at
>a screen with thousand of rows of results... If I get an Ada solution I can
>adapt it. Just limited to no access/pointers in VBA which shouldn't be
>required?

Hybrid Ada-spreadsheet solutions are possible. It's quite easy to read/write
.csv files in Ada, and those can be easily imported/exported from any
spreadsheet program (I've been using Libreoffice Calc, but Excel is
similar).

For an example, the ACATS grading tools essentially work by expecting the
vendor (or a third party) to provide a tool that converts compilation
results into a .csv file. The .csv file(s) are then read by the grading tool
and compared to required results to provide a grade. But it also can be read
into a spreadsheet for sanity checking as well as additional analysis.

Similarly (and probably more useful to you), I've used spreadsheet data for
various traffic in AdaIC (retrieved from Google) as input to Ada programs
that analyze the data to provide information that Google is unable to (in
particular, usage of the various Ada standards, which are split up into
usage of several hundred separate files). I then take the results of the Ada
program (which is also a .csv file), open that, and paste the results into a
previously created spreadsheet that generates charts for showing to
management. (Even highly skilled programmers don't like looking through
columns of numbers for trends. :-)

But you do have to be able to describe the results that you are looking for.
Having read the entire thread, I'm more confused than I started. :-)  I
suspect when you can describe your problem algorithmically, the solution
will be obvious. Good luck finding a solution.