* Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-25 16:56 Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2022-03-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
provide any compilers.

TIA for any suggestions, whether with build tools or without.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-25 20:43 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-03-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-03-25 17:56, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
> building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

Wow, that would be huge. Let us know if you find any.

> At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
> provide any compilers.

I am using sourceforge, it is much better than GitHub, IMO, clean
interface, has all bells-and-whistles, easy to automate upload.

I cannot say anything about OSDN.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-25 21:00 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2022-03-25 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-25 21:01   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-03-25 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25/03/2022 21:00, Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

AdaCore has one for GNAT.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-26 19:15   ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2022-03-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-03-25 23:00, Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
Action?

I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
about Ada compilation.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-26 19:16     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2022-03-26 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-03-25 23:01, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 21:00, Simon Wright wrote:
>> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>>
>> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.
>
> AdaCore has one for GNAT.

But they may be using their own compiler, instead of a preinstalled
compiler provided by GitHub for all users. Do you know?

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-26 21:01       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-03-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/03/2022 19:16, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2022-03-25 23:01, Luke A. Guest wrote:

>>> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.
>>
>> AdaCore has one for GNAT.
>

> But they may be using their own compiler, instead of a preinstalled
> compiler provided by GitHub for all users. Do you know?

They have FSF GNAT too.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-26 21:04     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-03-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:

> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
> Action?
>
> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
> of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
> about Ada compilation.

https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-26 21:46       ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2022-03-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-03-26 23:04, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
>> Action?
>>
>> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
>> of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
>> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
>> about Ada compilation.
>
> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain

Thanks! Looks like GitHub will be my choice, although I am usually a bit
Microsoft-allergic.

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-27 15:59         ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2022-03-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26/03/2022 21:46, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2022-03-26 23:04, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>>
>> On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
>>> Action?
>>>
>>> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any
>>> list of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
>>> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
>>> about Ada compilation.
>>
>> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain
>

> Thanks! Looks like GitHub will be my choice, although I am usually a bit
> Microsoft-allergic.

Aren't we all?

* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
@ 2022-03-29 18:38 ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2022-03-29 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:56:56 +0200
Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> wrote:

> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
> building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
> provide any compilers.
>
> TIA for any suggestions, whether with build tools or without.

I have my Ahven library and other things at Sourcehut.org:
https://hg.sr.ht/~tkoskine/ahven/

They offer generic build service also. For example see one build
log from Ahven: https://builds.sr.ht/~tkoskine/job/675294

The build configurations are Yaml files:
https://hg.sr.ht/~tkoskine/ahven/browse/.builds?rev=tip

Of course, the software on the build service is limited to
open source operating systems and compilers (Linux, *BSDs, GNAT).

Commercial Ada compilers (like ObjectAda or Janus/Ada) are not
supported.

For commercial Ada compilers, I run internal homelab network with
Jenkins master on RPi4 and couple of Windows build slaves, which fetch
the source code from Sourcehut periodically.

And before starting to use Sourcehut, read the caveats page:
https://sourcehut.org/alpha-details/

I also think that Sourcehut doesn't support hosting of "random"
binaries, like hand-crafted release tar balls. This kind of things
I locate on a separate virtual server.

--
Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi>