From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada and Unicode
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 23:05:38 -0500	[thread overview]

news:t2q3cb$bbt$1@gioia.aioe.org...
> On 2022-04-08 21:19, Simon Wright wrote:

>>> Yep, that is the exactly the problem, a confusion between interface
>>> and implementation.
>>
>> Don't understand. My point was that *when you are implementing this* it
>> mught be easier to deal with 32-bit charactrs/code points/whatever the
>> proper jargon is than with UTF8.
>
> I think it would be more difficult, because you will have to convert from
> and to UTF-8 under the hood or explicitly. UTF-8 is de-facto interface
> standard and I/O standard. That would be 60-70% of all cases you need a
> string. Most string operations like search, comparison, slicing are
> isomorphic between code points and octets. So you would win nothing from
> keeping strings internally as arrays of code points.

I basically agree with Dmitry here. The internal representation is an
implementation detail, but it seems likely that you would want to store
UTF-8 strings directly; they're almost always going to be half the size
(even for languages using their own characters like Greek) and for most of
us, they'll be just a bit more than a quarter the size. The amount of bytes
you copy around matters; the number of operations where code points are
needed is fairly small.

The main problem with UTF-8 is representing the code point positions in a
way that they (a) aren't abused and (b) don't cost too much to calculate.
Just using character indexes is too expensive for UTF-8 and UTF-16
representations, and using octet indexes is unsafe (since the splitting a
character representation is a possibility). I'd probably use an abstract
character position type that was implemented with an octet index under the
covers.

I think that would work OK as doing math on those is suspicious with a UTF
representation. We're spoiled from using Latin-1 representations, of course,
but generally one is interested in 5 characters, not 5 octets. And the
number of octets in 5 characters depends on the string. So most of the sorts
of operations that I tend to do (for instance from some code I was fixing
earlier today):

     if Fort'Length > 6 and then
        Font(2..6) = "Arial" then

This would be a bad idea if one is using any sort of universal
representation -- you don't know how many octets is in the string literal so
you can't assume a number in the test string. So the slice is dangerous
(even though in this particular case it would be OK since the test string is
all Ascii characters -- but I wouldn't want users to get in the habit of
assuming such things).

[BTW, the above was a bad idea anyway, because it turns out that the
function in the Ada library returned bounds that don't start at 1. So the
slice was usually out of range -- which is why I was looking at the code.
Another thing that we could do without. Slices are evil, since they *seem*
to be the right solution, yet rarely are in practice without a lot of
hoops.]

> The situation is comparable to Unbounded_Strings. The implementation is
> relatively simple, but the user must carry the burden of calling To_String
> and To_Unbounded_String all over the application and the processor must
> suffer the overhead of copying arrays here and there.

Yes, but that happens because Ada doesn't really have a string abstraction,
so when you try to build one, you can't fully do the job. One presumes that
a new language with a universal UTF-8 string wouldn't have that problem. (As
previously noted, I don't see much point in trying to patch up Ada with a
bunch of UTF-8 string packages; you would need an entire new set of
Ada.Strings libraries and I/O libraries, and then you'd have all of the old
stuff messing up resolution, using the best names, and confusing everything.
A cleaner slate is needed.)