From: "Jeffrey R.Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org.not>
Subject: Re: max line length
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:30:38 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2022-04-18 23:58, Thomas wrote:

> how do you set your max line length?

I use the Preferences menu selection in my editor. But that's probably not what
you intended to ask. I set mine to 132 characters.

> using indentations a lot, i find that 80 is short.
> but I don't realize how many people I'm going to disturb if I set a
> greater length, because I don't know all your uses.

When I started out, source lines were limited to 80 columns because that was the
length of punched cards, but the line printers could print 132 columns. In the
1980s printing switched from 14 x 11 inch paper in line printers to 8.5 x 11
inch paper, but it was still possible to print 132 characters in landscape mode,
so that's what I used if I had an editor that could handle long lines easily
(screens were not large enough or high enough resolution to be suitable for
reading programs, so I still tended to print them when that was needed. Today
printing is not needed much, but I continue to use 132 columns. If others want a
different line length they may reformat it.

"If I could find a sheriff who so offends the citizens of Rock
Ridge that his very appearance would drive them out of town ...
but where would I find such a man? Why am I asking you?"
Blazing Saddles