* Which site to upload software?
@ 2022-07-15 20:21 hreba
From: hreba @ 2022-07-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

After years of sucking free software from the web, I think I finally can
return something which might be of interest for others. It is a
framework for the simulation of physical systems, together with some
example systems.

Which site would you recommend?
--
Frank Hrebabetzky, Kronach	+49 / 9261 / 950 0565

* Re: Which site to upload software?
@ 2022-07-15 20:52 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-07-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-07-15 22:21, hreba wrote:
> After years of sucking free software from the web, I think I finally can
> return something which might be of interest for others. It is a
> framework for the simulation of physical systems, together with some
> example systems.
>
> Which site would you recommend?

SourceForge

https://sourceforge.net

* Re: Which site to upload software?
@ 2022-07-15 23:29 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-07-15 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

hreba <hreba@t-online.de> writes:

> After years of sucking free software from the web, I think I finally
> can return something which might be of interest for others. It is a
> framework for the simulation of physical systems, together with some
> example systems.
>
> Which site would you recommend?

Assuming your code is written in Ada, Alire: https://alire.ada.dev/

(I maintained a simulator written in Ada, with low-level parts in VHDL,
when I worked for NASA).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Which site to upload software?
@ 2022-07-16 10:04 ` Jeffrey R.Carter
From: Jeffrey R.Carter @ 2022-07-16 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-07-15 22:21, hreba wrote:
> After years of sucking free software from the web, I think I finally can return
> something which might be of interest for others. It is a framework for the
> simulation of physical systems, together with some example systems.
>
> Which site would you recommend?

github.com is popular
so is sourceforge.net
some use gitlab.com

If your code is GNAT dependent, or you want to limit its use to GNAT, you can
use Alire, alire.ada.dev

"Brave Sir Robin ran away."
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

* Re: Which site to upload software?
@ 2022-07-16 10:46   ` hreba
From: hreba @ 2022-07-16 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16.07.22 12:04, Jeffrey R.Carter wrote:
> github.com is popular
> so is sourceforge.net
> some use gitlab.com
>
> If your code is GNAT dependent, or you want to limit its use to GNAT,
> you can use Alire, alire.ada.dev

My code is purely GNAT, so Alire is an option.

As I said, this would be my first contribution. Case other people
contribute, I'll have to manage this project somehow, but don't have any
experience with that. Does this change your list, is project maintenance
easier on some sites?

--

@ 2022-07-16 21:40     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2022-07-16 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

hreba <hreba@t-online.de> writes:

> On 16.07.22 12:04, Jeffrey R.Carter wrote:
>> github.com is popular
>> so is sourceforge.net
>> some use gitlab.com
>> If your code is GNAT dependent, or you want to limit its use to
>> GNAT, you can use Alire, alire.ada.dev
>>

> My code is purely GNAT, so Alire is an option.
>
> As I said, this would be my first contribution. Case other people
> contribute, I'll have to manage this project somehow, but don't have
> any experience with that. Does this change your list, is project
> maintenance easier on some sites?

Alire is not a development platform (ie, it does not provide git
hosting); it is only for distribution.

github is not good for free software; see
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/fsf-funded-call-for-white-papers-on-philosophical-and-legal-questions-around-copilot

Savannah is good: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/savannah

--
-- Stephe