* ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-26 22:11 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-11-26 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

The library provides measurement unit support for Ada.

    http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/units.htm

Changes to the previous version:

- Added four new SI prefixes adopted by General Conference on Weights
and Measures (CGPM) in November 2022.

* Re: ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-30 15:44 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-11-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a bit confusting. From
https://www.lne.fr/en/news/general-conference-weights-and-measures-2022:

to express quantities of digital information using orders of magnitude in excess of 1024, has been adopted.

Thus, four new prefixes have been introduced:

    ronna pour 1027
    ronto pour 10-27
    quetta pour 1030
    quecto pour 10-30
End quote.

Abbreviations?
What does the reference to 1024 mean? Does it mean power of ten prefixes (negative  powers)? The what relevance has 1024? If it's binary units, negative powers are nonsense.

From
https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html:

Because the SI prefixes strictly represent powers of 10, they should not be used to represent powers of 2. Thus, one kilobit, or 1 kb a it, is 1000 bit and not 210 bit = 1024 bit. To alleviate this ambiguity, prefixes for binary multiples have been adopted by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for use in information technology.
End quote.

You can find the binary prefixes in:
https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

There is not yet a word to be found about the above prefixes.

* Re: ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-30 17:03   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2022-11-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-11-30 16:44, AdaMagica wrote:
> This is a bit confusting. From
> https://www.lne.fr/en/news/general-conference-weights-and-measures-2022:
>
> to express quantities of digital information using orders of magnitude in excess of 1024, has been adopted.
>
> Thus, four new prefixes have been introduced:
>
>      ronna pour 1027
>      ronto pour 10-27
>      quetta pour 1030
>      quecto pour 10-30
> End quote.
>
> Abbreviations?

q, r, R, Q

> What does the reference to 1024 mean? Does it mean power of ten prefixes (negative  powers)? The what relevance has 1024? If it's binary units, negative powers are nonsense.

Mistranslation from French? (:-))

* Re: ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-30 17:17   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-11-30 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica schrieb am Mittwoch, 30. November 2022 um 16:44:14 UTC+1:
> This is a bit confusting. From
> https://www.lne.fr/en/news/general-conference-weights-and-measures-2022:
>
> to express quantities of digital information using orders of magnitude in excess of 1024, has been adopted.

Now I see, this is 10**24.

I'm wondering when these prefixes will turn up in https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html.

* Re: ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-30 17:18   ` Jeffrey R.Carter
From: Jeffrey R.Carter @ 2022-11-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-11-30 16:44, AdaMagica wrote:
> This is a bit confusting. From
> https://www.lne.fr/en/news/general-conference-weights-and-measures-2022:
>
> to express quantities of digital information using orders of magnitude in excess of 1024, has been adopted.
>
> Thus, four new prefixes have been introduced:
>
>      ronna pour 1027
>      ronto pour 10-27
>      quetta pour 1030
>      quecto pour 10-30
> End quote.
>
> What does the reference to 1024 mean? Does it mean power of ten prefixes (negative  powers)? The what relevance has 1024? If it's binary units, negative powers are nonsense.

I suspect the numbers of the form 10xx originally had xx as a superscript which
was lost in translation, or 10 ** xx in Ada. Similarly, 10-xx would be 10 ** (-xx).

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

* Re: ANN: Units of measurement for Ada v3.12 (New SI prefixes)
@ 2022-11-30 17:49     ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2022-11-30 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm wondering when these prefixes will turn up in https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html.
You can find them here: