* Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-23 16:41 Saada Mehdi
From: Saada Mehdi @ 2022-12-23 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
In the future I'll be working with RFID tags, mostly on the short range (1–100 m) 433 MHz kind, defined by part 7 of the standard (https://www.iso.org/standard/57336.html). At least that should fit my needs.
I'll track mice or such small animals (no insects though) left free in an enclosed area, so that they feed themselves on the ground.
I read those chips were cheap, 5$.
Are there Ada libraries to deal with these kinds of devices ? I mean, to build RFID readers. Ideally I would need to map the mice' locations and movements and tell apart specific individuals.

Thanks,
Mehdi

* Re: Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-23 17:00 ` Saada Mehdi
From: Saada Mehdi @ 2022-12-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I answer my own question: dunno for that specific range of frequencies, but yes we can use Arduino plateforms to build a reader, and Ada can program Arduino. So it's just a matter of writing it seems.
But I think I haven't found the right tech though, for a positive ping isn't enough, I'll need to pin-point to the nearest ten of centimeter. If anyone has an educated guess, I'm all ears.

* Re: Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-23 17:23   ` Saada Mehdi
From: Saada Mehdi @ 2022-12-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

3 reading receiving towers should be able to triangulate/pin-point passive RFID chips at any given time.

* Re: Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-23 18:38     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2022-12-23 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-23 19:23, Saada Mehdi wrote:
> 3 reading receiving towers should be able to triangulate/pin-point
> passive RFID chips at any given time.

You wanted 10 cm precision, right? If you use time-of-flight to compute
the position, this requires about 0.3 ns timing precision and
synchronization, if each Tx/Rx tower times its own sending and
reception. You could get around the synch problem by cabling the Tx/Rx
signals from and to a central Tx/Rx, but you still have to be able to
measure the time differences between the three Rx signals to that
precision. I doubt if that can be done with standard RFID Tx/Rx electronics.

Some discussion, negative and positive, here (part of the result of a
web search for "RFID triangulation"):

https://www.quora.com/Can-the-position-of-a-RFID-tag-be-tracked-with-high-precision-in-a-2D-or-3D-space?share=1

There are some references to fancier electronics that can provide good
spatial resolution.

* Re: Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-23 18:53       ` Saada Mehdi
From: Saada Mehdi @ 2022-12-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes I realized I was (way ?) over my head here, there are a lot of issues to consider. Well, lot of reading ahead of me.

* Re: Ada libraries to deal with RFID tags
@ 2022-12-27 12:13   ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2022-12-27 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-12-23 18:00, Saada Mehdi wrote:
> I answer my own question: dunno for that specific range of frequencies, but yes we can use Arduino plateforms to build a reader, and Ada can program Arduino. So it's just a matter of writing it seems.
> But I think I haven't found the right tech though, for a positive ping isn't enough, I'll need to pin-point to the nearest ten of centimeter. If anyone has an educated guess, I'm all ears.

I would use UWB

example of ready-to-use system
<https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/system/positioning/>

Look at the loco-positioninging

I is somewhat close to your case, this tracks small in-door drones in
realtime, and handles swarms as well.

--
/Björn