* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
       [not found] <13757589-8844-46ec-8d09-24b4bfd65a52n@googlegroups.com>
@ 2023-05-15 10:41 ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-05-15 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15/5/23 07:31, 196...@googlemail.com wrote:
> And for Linux it's an appimage. Why? I mean? Its...?
>
> I just wish they could get it into shape where the build was doable without so much hassle - I've never beenable to manage it.

    The build *has* been getting easier. I maintain the Archlinux
gnatStudio package and have nearly got it to build. Currently, I'm
waiting on a new/matching release of the AdaCore spawn project. I could,
I suppose, use the latest commit version but would prefer to use a
formal release.

    Also, in the new binary, 'Find all references' appears to be broken
(it finds no references). I guess, the same would apply for the
refactoring tool. I've been advised to report the issue and will do so
tomorrow. It might help to know if other people also experience the same
problem(s), before reporting ?

Regards.

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-05-15 13:58   ` Jeffrey R.Carter
From: Jeffrey R.Carter @ 2023-05-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-05-15 12:41, Rod Kay wrote:

>     Also, in the new binary, 'Find all references' appears to be broken (it
> finds no references). I guess, the same would apply for the refactoring tool.
> I've been advised to report the issue and will do so tomorrow. It might help to
> know if other people also experience the same problem(s), before reporting ?

After typing "with Ada.Strings." I received a use clause as a suggested
completion. After completing the subprogram name in a subprogram call, I was
shown something other than the subprogram specification. After typing the '('
for the parameter list, I was shown something other than the formal parameters.

"Mixtures of similar characters (letter O and
digit 0, letter I and digit 1, etc.) are unsafe,
as are long identifiers that differ only at the
end."
Elements of Programming Style

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-06-01  9:21   ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2023-06-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

понедельник, 15 мая 2023 г. в 13:43:31 UTC+3, Rod Kay:
> On 15/5/23 07:31, 196...@ wrote:
> > And for Linux it's an appimage. Why? I mean? Its...?

Why not? It's compact. It doesn't require any installation, so it's handy. You can extract content with --appimage-extract and install GS with ./squashfs-root/usr/doinstall as before.

> > I just wish they could get it into shape where the build was doable without so much hassle - I've never beenable to manage it.
> The build *has* been getting easier. I maintain the Archlinux
> gnatStudio package and have nearly got it to build. Currently, I'm
> waiting on a new/matching release of the AdaCore spawn project. I could,
> I suppose, use the latest commit version but would prefer to use a
> formal release.

All sources are in release assets, like gnatstudio-sources-x86_64-linux.tar.gz. It has spawn-24.0w-20230428-162D4-src.tar.gz for example.

> Also, in the new binary, 'Find all references' appears to be broken
> (it finds no references). I guess, the same would apply for the
> refactoring tool. I've been advised to report the issue and will do so
> tomorrow. It might help to know if other people also experience the same
> problem(s), before reporting ?

It looks like your ada_language_server doesn't work. Take a look in GS log files (in ~/.gnatstudio/ folder).

@ 2023-06-01 18:27     ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-06-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/6/23 19:21, Maxim Reznik wrote:
> понедельник, 15 мая 2023 г. в 13:43:31 UTC+3, Rod Kay:
>
> All sources are in release assets, like gnatstudio-sources-x86_64-linux.tar.gz. It has spawn-24.0w-20230428-162D4-src.tar.gz for example.

    Ah, great. I will try re-build with this.

>> Also, in the new binary, 'Find all references' appears to be broken
>> (it finds no references). I guess, the same would apply for the
>> refactoring tool. I've been advised to report the issue and will do so
>> tomorrow. It might help to know if other people also experience the same
>> problem(s), before reporting ?
>>

> It looks like your ada_language_server doesn't work. Take a look in GS log files (in ~/.gnatstudio/ folder).

    I've just re-tested and 'Find all references' works perfectly. How
embarrassing!

    All i can think of is that I may have had an old gnatstudio version
running when I did the GS update and so was still using the old version
when I initially tested.

    Thanks very much Reznik, very helpful.

Regards.

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-06-05 10:15       ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2023-06-05 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great! Waiting for GNAT Studio in Arch Linux :)

Speaking about AppImage. If you want installed version of GNAT Studio (for instance to have an access to the gnatdoc/gnatdoc4), then you can extract AppImage as an old .tag.gz archive and run doinstall:

chmod +x ./GNAT_Studio-x86_64.AppImage
./GNAT_Studio-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-extract
./squashfs-root/usr/doinstall

Best regards,

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-06-05 12:55         ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-06-05 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/6/23 20:15, Maxim Reznik wrote:
> Great! Waiting for GNAT Studio in Arch Linux :)

    Heh, I've just this minute finished the build/install of GNAT Studio
for Arch Linux. The build of GS (and all of it's dependencies) went very
well, largely due to using all of the sources provided in the recent GS
sources tarball release. So thank you again for suggesting that.

    I still have one problem to solve. When I run GS, i get the
following python error ...

Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of
the filesystem encoding
Python runtime state: core initialized
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

    A quick google did not yield any promising solutions but I will look
again tomorrow. If anyone can suggest possible reasons/solutions I'd be
very grateful. I know little about that pesky snake and less about how
to treat one constricted by the beast :).

Regards.

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-06-10 10:25           ` Maxim Reznik
From: Maxim Reznik @ 2023-06-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Probably something wrong with your Python installation. I've tried in GNAT Studio console:

>>> import encodings
>>> print(encodings.__file__)

/tmp/gs/share/gnatstudio/python/lib/python3.9/encodings/__init__.py

While if I run system packaged Python in my Ubuntu:

$ python3
>>> import encodings
>>> print(encodings.__file__)
/usr/lib/python3.10/encodings/__init__.py

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/python3.10/encodings/__init__.py
libpython3.10-minimal:amd64: /usr/lib/python3.10/encodings/__init__.py

So, it's part of libpython3.10-minimal

Best regards,

* Re: GnatStudio 20230501 released
@ 2023-06-27 20:47           ` Rod Kay
From: Rod Kay @ 2023-06-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/6/23 22:55, Rod Kay wrote:
> On 5/6/23 20:15, Maxim Reznik wrote:
>> Great! Waiting for GNAT Studio in Arch Linux :)
>>

>     I still have one problem to solve. When I run GS, i get the
> following python error ...
>
> Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of
> the filesystem encoding
> Python runtime state: core initialized
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

    It turns out that gnatstudio expects '/usr/share/gnatstudio/python'
to contain or point to the root of an OS's python installation. So a
simple soft link to '/usr' fixed this problem.

    The only other problem was a deprecated python module, which was
very easy to patch/fix.

    So now gnatstudio builds/runs on Archlinux with all the bells/whistles.

    A final thanks, Maxim, for your help.

Regards.