* ee9, KDF9 emulator release 4.1d
@ 2020-02-26 18:13 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2020-02-26 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are interested in historical computers you might like to take a
look at the new release of ee9, my emulator of the English Electric KDF9,
now available here:

<http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/#Emulator>

where you can find pre-built binaries for macOS and Linux.
I expect that the Linux binary will also work on Windows 10,
but have not tried that.

For the first time, this release of ee9 enables both the use of the
Kidsgrove optimising Algol 60 compiler and the execution of object
programs under the control of the Time Sharing Director,
KDF9's elegantly simple multiprogramming operating system.

In the download package are papers describing the hardware and software of
the KDF9,
and its role in the development of machine-independent benchmarking.

ee9 and its ancillary programs are written in Ada 2012 (of course).
Source code, and instructions on using the build process, are also included.

Enjoy!
--
Bill Findlay

* Re: ee9, KDF9 emulator release 4.1d
@ 2020-02-26 19:25 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2020-02-26 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Awesome news!

* Re: ee9, KDF9 emulator release 4.1d
@ 2020-02-26 20:49 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2020-02-26 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> For the first time, this release of ee9 enables both the use of the
> Kidsgrove optimising Algol 60 compiler and the execution of object
> programs under the control of the Time Sharing Director,
> KDF9's elegantly simple multiprogramming operating system.

Cool!  Do you have the KDF9 source code for the Algol 60 compiler or the
timesharing OS?

* Re: ee9, KDF9 emulator release 4.1d
@ 2020-02-27  0:47   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2020-02-27  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Feb 2020, Paul Rubin wrote
(in article <87k1496plp.fsf@nightsong.com>):

> Bill Findlay<findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk>  writes:
> > For the first time, this release of ee9 enables both the use of the
> > Kidsgrove optimising Algol 60 compiler and the execution of object
> > programs under the control of the Time Sharing Director,
> > KDF9's elegantly simple multiprogramming operating system.
>
> Cool! Do you have the KDF9 source code for the Algol 60 compiler or the
> timesharing OS?

The ee9 download includes listings of the Whetstone Algol system.

You can find a lot more original or resurrected KDF9 material, starting here:

<http://sw.ccs.bcs.org/KDF9/index.html>

See also the Bibliography included in the download.

--
Bill Findlay