* Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-27 11:51 Enrico A.
From: Enrico A. @ 2001-12-27 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm Enrico,21 from Milan, Italy.
I have a simple question :
what do u think about developing a videogame using ADA ? what compiler
do u suggest?
Ciao,
    Enrico B.A.

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-27 19:44 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-12-27 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Enrico A." <muaddib@digibank.it> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm Enrico,21 from Milan, Italy.
> I have a simple question :
> what do u think about developing a videogame using Ada ?

If memory serves someone posted here a while back about doing a game in Ada.
If your interested try
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=game&hl=en&group=comp.lang.ada&scoring=d,
it should provide all discussions of games in Ada.

> what compiler do u suggest?

Depends,

GNAT is free (rather, there is a public version which is free and a
commercial version which isn't) and works on a lot of platforms (Windows,
Linux, various Unices, ...).  There are more compilers at
http://www.adapower.com under "links".

If your using GNAT you have the following possible options for drawing stuff
with (assuming of course it is a graphical game, and not a text [console]
based game) ,

GWindows (Windows only, *at present*),
OpenGL (Windows version comes with bindings, there used to be a binding
independant of windows (and GNAT) but I don't know if that's still
available),
DirectX with GNATCOM and GWindows (Windows only),
GtkAda (Various platforms, but GNAT only),
... (some more I can't remember)

[info on most of these things can be found at adapower]

For other compilers someone else will have to help.

Chris

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-28  0:53 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-12-28  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

>I have a simple question :
>what do u think about developing a videogame using ADA ?

IMHO, it is a good idea :-) !

>what compiler do u suggest?

Take one that has a good load of optimization features,
e.g. GNAT (great!) or ObjectAda >= 7.2.1 (I've not tested its
optimizations, someone ?).

You may want to take a look at my 3D labo
  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/e3d.htm
but a decent video game should use OpenGL, DirectX, AdaSDL - as
Chris replied.

G.

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-28 13:02 ` Enrico A.
From: Enrico A. @ 2001-12-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gautier Write-only-address" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1009500842.9803.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>...
> >I have a simple question :
> >what do u think about developing a videogame using ADA ?
> IMHO, it is a good idea :-) !

And why do u think that? ( I mean apart of because you are an ADA fan
:))) )

> >what compiler do u suggest?
> Take one that has a good load of optimization features,
> e.g. GNAT (great!) or ObjectAda >= 7.2.1 (I've not tested its
> optimizations, someone ?).

Yes, i ve the GNAT free ed. and it's simple. Of course I'm a beginner
in ADA so can u suggest a kind of ADA Bible ? (Like the Kernighan &
Richie for C)

> You may want to take a look at my 3D labo
>   http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/e3d.htm

Oh your 3d labo is cool!!
Ciao,
    Enrico B.A.

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-28 15:28   ` Michal Nowak
       [not found]   ` <200112281628260350.00DF1BEE@smtp-po.inetia.pl>
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-12-28 at 05:02 muaddib@digibank.it wrote:

>Yes, i ve the GNAT free ed. and it's simple. Of course I'm a beginner
>in ADA so can u suggest a kind of ADA Bible ? (Like the Kernighan &
>Richie for C)

If you want a printed book, "Ada as a second language", second edition
by Norman H.Cohen is a good choice. Over 1000 pages of encyclopedic
knowledge about Ada. However it is a bit expensive (87$ in Amazon)
as for a student. I am very satisfied from this book.

There are also lots of-online resources, to give you good start into Ada.
Preben had such email with lots of links to help beginners. Yum may find
most of them at:
http://www.adapower.com/learn/

Good luck and happy Ada programming,
Mike

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
       [not found]   ` <200112281628260350.00DF1BEE@smtp-po.inetia.pl>
@ 2001-12-28 16:04     ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 2001-12-28 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

--Am Freitag, Dezember 28, 2001 16:28:26 +0100 schrieb Michal
Nowak <vinnie@inetia.pl>:

> If you want a printed book, "Ada as a second language", second
> edition by Norman H.Cohen is a good choice. Over 1000 pages of
> encyclopedic  knowledge about Ada. However it is a bit
> expensive (87$ in Amazon)  as for a student. I am very
> satisfied from this book.

A very good choice indeed. But add the errata from
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl_errata.html

Wilhelm

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
       [not found]   ` <200112281628260350.00DF1BEE@smtp-po.inetia.pl>
@ 2001-12-28 16:09   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-12-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <98104da8.0112280502.7e0addf3@posting.google.com>, Enrico A. says...
>Yes, i ve the GNAT free ed. and it's simple. Of course I'm a beginner
>in ADA so can u suggest a kind of ADA Bible ? (Like the Kernighan &
>Richie for C)

The holy scriptures for Ada is the Ada Language Reference Manual (available
online at http://www.ada-auth.org/~acats/arm-html/RM-TOC.html ). Its not a good
place to start for a beginner though.

BTW: Ada, not being an acronym, is not capitalized. Where did you get the idea
that it was?

---

However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 10:17 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2001-12-29 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> > >I have a simple question :
> > >what do u think about developing a videogame using ADA ?
> > IMHO, it is a good idea :-) !

Enrico A.:

>And why do u think that? ( I mean apart of because you are
>an ADA fan :))) )

In fact it is a good question, thank you for asking it.
Personally I'm not a fan - since this word comes from
"fanatic", I would consider twice before deciding to become
a fan...

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 12:47     ` Enrico A.
From: Enrico A. @ 2001-12-29 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The holy scriptures for Ada is the Ada Language Reference Manual (available
> online at http://www.ada-auth.org/~acats/arm-html/RM-TOC.html ). Its not a good
> place to start for a beginner though.

Ok, i've got it. Maybe it's not a beginner's manual but it's good for
some references.

> BTW: Ada, not being an acronym, is not capitalized. Where did you get the idea that it was?

No, I know that Ada is not an acronym. I've just made a mistake. I
know the Ada's history since i was 18 i think... ok but Errare Humanum
Est (perserverare diabolicum) ! :o)
Tnx to u all!
Ciao,
    Enrico B.A.

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 21:17   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-12-29 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If your using GNAT you have the following possible options for drawing stuff
> with (assuming of course it is a graphical game, and not a text [console]
> based game) ,
> ... (some more I can't remember)
  CLAW for MS Windows.  www.rrsoftware.com
There's a Minsweeper using GtkAda and a variant using CLAW - search
www.adapower.com   For a very different style of graphics, search for
Orbitals.  CLAW is not tied to a single compiler, BTW
Tom Moran (one of the CLAW developers)

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 21:21     ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-29 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michal Nowak" wrote:
> On 01-12-28 at 05:02 muaddib@digibank.it wrote:
>
> >Yes, i ve the GNAT free ed. and it's simple. Of course I'm a beginner
> >in ADA so can u suggest a kind of ADA Bible ? (Like the Kernighan &
> >Richie for C)
>
> If you want a printed book, "Ada as a second language", second edition
> by Norman H.Cohen is a good choice. Over 1000 pages of encyclopedic
> knowledge about Ada. However it is a bit expensive (87$ in Amazon)
> as for a student. I am very satisfied from this book.

I'm a newbie. This book is in front of me now. It's not the easiest to
follow. It's neither a "Code Intensive Reference Manual" nor a "Tutorial".
Sort of in limbo inbetween with that nasty "Courier" font for program
listings - you know the type.

> There are also lots of-online resources, to give you good start into Ada.
> Preben had such email with lots of links to help beginners. Yum may find
> most of them at:
> http://www.adapower.com/learn/

...will make you want to break down and cry!

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 22:32       ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-29 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-12-29 at 21:21 Liddle Feesh wrote:

>"Michal Nowak" wrote:
>> On 01-12-28 at 05:02 muaddib@digibank.it wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, i ve the GNAT free ed. and it's simple. Of course I'm a beginner
>> >in ADA so can u suggest a kind of ADA Bible ? (Like the Kernighan &
>> >Richie for C)
>>
>> If you want a printed book, "Ada as a second language", second edition
>> by Norman H.Cohen is a good choice. Over 1000 pages of encyclopedic
>> knowledge about Ada. However it is a bit expensive (87$ in Amazon)
>> as for a student. I am very satisfied from this book.
>
>I'm a newbie. This book is in front of me now. It's not the easiest to
>follow. It's neither a "Code Intensive Reference Manual" nor a "Tutorial".
>Sort of in limbo inbetween with that nasty "Courier" font for program
>listings - you know the type.

Notice, that I wrote that it is "encyclopedic knowledge". Hmm, even
that English is not my native language I found it quite easy to read
and understand.

From preface: "Ada as a Second Language is at once a tutorial to Ada
and a complete refernce." For me it is complete refernce. Is it a
tutorial? Hmm, yes, maybe not giving you quick start into Ada, like
"Lovelace tutorial" by David Wheeler or mentioned earlier John English'
book, but giving more detailed knowledge.

I agree, that the style in which it is written is rather formal and
different from direct one, like in "Ada 95 - craft of object oriented
programming". But it is also much easier to read than Reference Manual
(which is not tutorial, but serves well as additional reference).

And, the title "Ada - *as a second languge*" assumes, that you are
familiar and fluent with programming in one of other languages
(COBOL, C++, Fortran, Pascal).

Hey, but don't give up, there are lots of other books on Ada,
I hope you should have access to them in libraries.

Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\
  O                                  |
 o>>        Mike Nowak               |
 T                                   |
/ >       vinnie@inetia.pl           |
http://www.geocities.com/vinnie14pl _|__

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-29 22:34         ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-29 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michal Nowak" wrote:
> >I'm a newbie. This book is in front of me now. It's not the easiest to
> >follow. It's neither a "Code Intensive Reference Manual" nor a
"Tutorial".
> >Sort of in limbo inbetween with that nasty "Courier" font for program
> >listings - you know the type.
>
> Notice, that I wrote that it is "encyclopedic knowledge". Hmm, even
> that English is not my native language I found it quite easy to read
> and understand.
>
> From preface: "Ada as a Second Language is at once a tutorial to Ada
> and a complete refernce." For me it is complete refernce. Is it a
> tutorial? Hmm, yes, maybe not giving you quick start into Ada, like
> "Lovelace tutorial" by David Wheeler or mentioned earlier John English'
> book, but giving more detailed knowledge.

I see everyone raves over this book! Must be >something< special in it. It's
been taken out a lot - and is reserved too.

> I agree, that the style in which it is written is rather formal and
> different from direct one, like in "Ada 95 - craft of object oriented
> programming". But it is also much easier to read than Reference Manual
> (which is not tutorial, but serves well as additional reference).

RM is useful. That's what we were presented with on our course - together
with the spec and told to 'get on with it'.

> And, the title "Ada - *as a second languge*" assumes, that you are
> familiar and fluent with programming in one of other languages
> (COBOL, C++, Fortran, Pascal).

> Hey, but don't give up, there are lots of other books on Ada,
> I hope you should have access to them in libraries.

Over Christmas and the New Year? No way! Everywhere is closed and/or out of
books/lending.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-30  0:20           ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-12-30  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-12-29 at 22:34 Liddle Feesh wrote:

>> Hey, but don't give up, there are lots of other books on Ada,
>> I hope you should have access to them in libraries.
>
>Over Christmas and the New Year? No way! Everywhere is closed and/or out of
>books/lending.

So you must be really in big hurry...

M.
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\

@ 2001-12-30  0:41             ` Liddle Feesh
From: Liddle Feesh @ 2001-12-30  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michal Nowak" wrote:

> So you must be really in big hurry...

Got about a week. Just have lots of other things to do in the meantime :)

I've written a bit more - but I'm having a bit of trouble working it out -
can't find a decent example using three files anywhere!

1. Test Harness
2. Package Body
3. Package Spec

For :

Add
Remove
List

I can't believe this hasn't been done b4. Esp as the lecturer who set the
question hasn't ever used Ada before.

--
Liddle Feesh
 '  O 0 o <"//><  ' o'^

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2001-12-31 18:52       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-12-31 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <98104da8.0112290447.45934efd@posting.google.com>, Enrico A. says...
>> BTW: Ada, not being an acronym, is not capitalized. Where did you get the idea that it was?
>
>No, I know that Ada is not an acronym. I've just made a mistake. I
>know the Ada's history since i was 18 i think... ok but Errare Humanum
>Est (perserverare diabolicum) ! :o)

I understand. Its just that this particular error seems to be endemic among
newbies who would never dream of calling Java "JAVA". So I really am curious
where it comes from.

---

@ 2002-01-04 12:05         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-01-04 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
: I understand. Its just that this particular error seems to be endemic among
: newbies who would never dream of calling Java "JAVA". So I really am curious
: where it comes from.

Look at book covers from  the 80s :-)
Also, consider casing in pre-95 ADA SOURCE CODE.
Or even, consider that military people seem to frequently
request ALL CAPS, BECAUSE IT, UHM, WELL I DON'T KNOW...
Not been there :-)

Georg

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2002-01-04 14:24           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a145q2$hht$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>, Georg Bauhaus says...

>Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>: I understand. Its just that this particular error seems to be endemic among
>: newbies who would never dream of calling Java "JAVA". So I really am curious
>: where it comes from.
>
>Look at book covers from  the 80s :-)

First off, a newbie isn't likely to come across such a book, as they are all out
of print now.

Secondly, I tested that theory a couple of years ago when I worked with a guy I
like to call "the library". (I think Jeff Bezos sends him Christmas cards). He
had no less than 11 different Ada books, many of them out of print Ada83 books.
I have a couple of the latter myself. Not *one* of them capitalized Ada that
way. The only incorrect capitalization I could find was a book by John English
that spelled it "ada". :-) So if a person got "ADA" somewhere, it certainly
wasn't from an Ada book.

p.s. I just took a visit to "the library" for a refresher. He's down to 9
different Ada books now, but I think some may have been lent out. :-)

---

@ 2002-01-08  9:17             ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-01-08  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <a145q2$hht$1@a1-hrz.uni-duisburg.de>, Georg Bauhaus says...
> >
> >Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> >: I understand. Its just that this particular error seems to be endemic among
> >: newbies who would never dream of calling Java "JAVA". So I really am curious
> >: where it comes from.

So maybe this is a reason: Many pepole know the island Java so they know
that "Java" is a name. But the name "Ada" is not very common (at least
here where I life). In fact I never heard it before I started with Ada.
So one could assume that Ada is just an acronym like COBOL or FORTRAN.
If the language would have been called "Augusta" the I think nobody
would write AUGUSTA.

> >Look at book covers from  the 80s :-)
>
> First off, a newbie isn't likely to come across such a book, as they are all out
> of print now.

A friend of mine just starts with Ada. Some of his books are still from
the early 80th when we had studied.

> Secondly, I tested that theory a couple of years ago when I worked with a guy I
> like to call "the library". (I think Jeff Bezos sends him Christmas cards). He
> had no less than 11 different Ada books, many of them out of print Ada83 books.
> I have a couple of the latter myself. Not *one* of them capitalized Ada that

I've look to my bookshelf and many of my early book wrote it that way.
And my first reference manual is titled "ADA REFERENCE  ANS-MIL-STD
1815A".

> way. The only incorrect capitalization I could find was a book by John English
> that spelled it "ada". :-) So if a person got "ADA" somewhere, it certainly
> wasn't from an Ada book.

I took a look on Amazon and found:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471012769/qid=1010480247/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_b_4/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0309055970/qid=1010480366/br=1-18/ref=br_lf_b_18/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130040789/qid=1010480464/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_b_8/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0132049678/qid=1010480552/br=1-20/ref=br_lf_b_20/002-9221151-1373622

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/085312535X/qid=1010479521/sr=1-124/ref=sr_1_66_125/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130459496/qid=1010479713/sr=1-186/ref=sr_1_2_187/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201137925/qid=1010479713/sr=1-199/ref=sr_1_2_200/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0387126953/qid=1010479897/sr=1-241/ref=sr_1_2_242/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9992080418//ref=sr_1_0_376/002-9221151-1373622

And book with "ada" instead "Ada":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201403633/qid=1010480247/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_b_8/002-9221151-1373622
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0132303507/qid=1010480366/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_b_6/002-9221151-1373622

@ 2002-01-08 14:24               ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-08 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:17:59 +0100, Alfred Hilscher wrote:

> So maybe this is a reason: Many pepole know the island Java so they know
> that "Java" is a name. But the name "Ada" is not very common (at least

Or the Java coffee (from Java of course).

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2002-01-08 15:20               ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3C3AB947.971E14AB@icn.siemens.de>, Alfred Hilscher says...
>So maybe this is a reason: Many pepole know the island Java so they know
>that "Java" is a name. But the name "Ada" is not very common (at least

I suppose that's possible. There's a city named Ada around here, and it used to
be a common woman's name, but that was many years ago.

>If the language would have been called "Augusta" the I think nobody
>would write AUGUSTA.

That's quite possible.

>Ted Dennison wrote:
>> Secondly, I tested that theory a couple of years ago when I worked with a
..
>> I have a couple of the latter myself. Not *one* of them capitalized Ada that

>I've look to my bookshelf and many of my early book wrote it that way.
>And my first reference manual is titled "ADA REFERENCE  ANS-MIL-STD
>1815A".

Fair enough, but when *everything* is capitalized I don't think its a very good
example. No one would look at this and thing "reference" is spelled "REFERENCE".

>I took a look on Amazon and found:

This is actually a stellar example of the principle. You show some examples
where it is capitalized *correctly* on the book, but incorrectly in Amazon's
title. In their defense, they got it correct it quite a few places as well,
including the one where the book cover artists got it wrong.

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471012769/qid=1010480247/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_b_4/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0309055970/qid=1010480366/br=1-18/ref=br_lf_b_18/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0132049678/qid=1010480552/br=1-20/ref=br_lf_b_20/002-9221151-1373622

Further examples where other words that are clearly not acronyms are also all
caps. I can't take these as examples becuase its clear in each case from context
that everything is being capitalized.

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130040789/qid=1010480464/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_b_8/002-9221151-1373622

Wow. This indeed is an actual example where they got the name wrong. I've never
heard of or seen this book before, but it apparently does exist. Interestingly,
Amazon got it right in their rendition of the book's title. :-)

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/085312535X/qid=1010479521/sr=1-124/ref=sr_1_66_125/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130459496/qid=1010479713/sr=1-186/ref=sr_1_2_187/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201137925/qid=1010479713/sr=1-199/ref=sr_1_2_200/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0387126953/qid=1010479897/sr=1-241/ref=sr_1_2_242/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/9992080418//ref=sr_1_0_376/002-9221151-1373622

The cover on these is not shown. Its possible that they spelled it wrong in the
book, but I'm inclined to give them the benifit of the doubt and assume that
Amazon just got it wrong. The Barnes book I *know* doesn't have it wrong,
because its in "the library". This is most likely just several more examples of
people who don't know the language capitalizing it "ADA" for no apparent reason.

>And book with "ada" instead "Ada":
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201403633/qid=1010480247/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_b_8/002-9221151-1373622
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0132303507/qid=1010480366/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_b_6/002-9221151-1373622

I'd mentioned one of those already. The other actually does not use "ada". If
you look a bit more carefully, the first "a" is significantly larger than the
second. Their font just makes capitals look similar to the lower-case letters.

If book covers were a deciding factor for anyone, we'd expect to see a few folks
come in here mislead by the English book asking about "ada". That doesn't
happen.

Outside of one exception, which to my mind is counterbalanced by the one
lower-case exception, no book actually uses "ADA". Yet you found several
examples where Amamzon insisted on "ADA" anyway. I think its clear that book
covers cannot be blamed.

---

@ 2002-01-08 17:01                 ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-01-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:
> >I took a look on Amazon and found:
>
> This is actually a stellar example of the principle. You show some examples
> where it is capitalized *correctly* on the book, but incorrectly in Amazon's
> title.

Ok, you're right. But - wheter it's wrong spelled on a website or on the
teachers script, both can lead one to the assumption that it's spelled
"ADA".

> Further examples where other words that are clearly not acronyms are also all
> caps. I can't take these as examples becuase its clear in each case from context
> that everything is being capitalized.

Yes, one who _does_ know that it's a name would never star to write
"ADA", but one who _doesn't_ know has no reason to think that this
special word must not be capitalized.

> >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130040789/qid=1010480464/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_b_8/002-9221151-1373622
>
> Wow. This indeed is an actual example where they got the name wrong. I've never
> heard of or seen this book before, but it apparently does exist. Interestingly,
> Amazon got it right in their rendition of the book's title. :-)

I've looked only for enghlish/american books, but I remember my first
(german) book had also a "ADA" title.

> because its in "the library". This is most likely just several more examples of
> people who don't know the language capitalizing it "ADA" for no apparent reason.

WYSIWYW = What you see is what you write (as long as you don't know it
better)

> examples where Amamzon insisted on "ADA" anyway. I think its clear that book
> covers cannot be blamed.

<ironic>
What about this, people search for "Ada" and find "ADA Americans with
Disabilities Act ". They think - "Wow what has this to do with
programming of reliable software?" Or "ADA - American Dental
Association" - wow, dentists are the real programmers?
</ironic>

> ---
> T.E.D.    homepage   - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html
>
> No trees were killed in the sending of this message.

Really? Maybe the electrons come from a coal-fired power station which
blows a lot of sulfur up into atmosphere ;-)

@ 2002-01-08 17:11                   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-01-08 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3C3B25F4.E96F196E@icn.siemens.de>, Alfred Hilscher says...

>> No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
>
>Really? Maybe the electrons come from a coal-fired power station which
>blows a lot of sulfur up into atmosphere ;-)

Actually it does. However, our coal-fired plants are fairly new, and mostly pump
out CO2, which the trees loooooove. Think of it as giving a tree a massage every
time I send a message. :-)

---

@ 2002-01-08 17:46                     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-08 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:11:59 GMT, Ted Dennison wrote:
> Actually it does. However, our coal-fired plants are fairly new, and
> mostly pump out CO2, which the trees loooooove. Think of it as giving
> a tree a massage every time I send a message. :-)

Global warming.

--

@ 2002-01-08 18:08                       ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2002-01-08 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:11:59 GMT, Ted Dennison wrote:
> > Actually it does. However, our coal-fired plants are fairly new, and
> > mostly pump out CO2, which the trees loooooove. Think of it as giving
> > a tree a massage every time I send a message. :-)
>
> Global warming.

Trees thrive in a tropical environment.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

* Re: Games? A Newbie question
@ 2002-01-08 18:26                         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-01-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:08:44 GMT, James Rogers wrote:
> Trees thrive in a tropical environment.

And dies where the deserts expand.