* Generic type in package
@ 2005-01-21 18:07 Stefan Merwitz
From: Stefan Merwitz @ 2005-01-21 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've seen the following type definition in a package-file (ads):

generic
    type T is (<>);

this seems to allow comparing (smaller, greater or equal) of the type T.
But I did not find this type definition ("(<>") in the Ada
documentation. What are the differences to limited private and does this
  constrict the usable data types for T?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

* Re: Generic type in package
@ 2005-01-21 18:22 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2005-01-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Merwitz writes:
> Hello,
>
> I've seen the following type definition in a package-file (ads):
>
> generic
>     type T is (<>);
>
> this seems to allow comparing (smaller, greater or equal) of the type
> T. But I did not find this type definition ("(<>") in the Ada
> documentation. What are the differences to limited private and does
> this constrict the usable data types for T?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stefan

It means that T must be a discrete type: either an enumeration, a
range, or a modular type.  See ARM 12.5.2 and 3.2(12).

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Generic type in package
@ 2005-01-22  8:32 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2005-01-22  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Merwitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've seen the following type definition in a package-file (ads):
>
> generic
>     type T is (<>);
>
> this seems to allow comparing (smaller, greater or equal) of the type T.
> But I did not find this type definition ("(<>") in the Ada
> documentation. What are the differences to limited private and does this
>   constrict the usable data types for T?

No - its the "box" Read:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Special:box

Martin