* Re: Looking for a UNIX Ada Compiler...
@ 1991-11-05  4:51 ubc-cs!unixg.ubc.ca!kakwa.ucs.ualberta.ca!alberta!herald.usask.ca!regina!
From: ubc-cs!unixg.ubc.ca!kakwa.ucs.ualberta.ca!alberta!herald.usask.ca!regina! @ 1991-11-05  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Nov4.065257.29829@milton.u.washington.edu> mfeldman@milton.u.wa
shington.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>In article <1991Nov4.044016.7314@regina.cs.uregina.ca> plummer@hercules.cs.ure
gina.ca (Dave Plummer) writes:
>>I'm looking for a freely distributrable Ada compiler that will run under
>>BSD4.3 or SYSV.  There is one for MS-DOS, so I suppose it's not _impossible_
>>to hope there's a PD or shareware system for Unix.  We have a good VMS
>>version here, but I'm much more comfortable under Unix, so I thought maybe...
>>
>The only "freely-distributable" Ada compilers I am aware of for DOS are
>a couple of toys, one of which was written by me and some students. We
>don't pretend it's Ada, though. If you know of a PD Ada compiler for DOS,
>please let me know. Are you sure the compiler you're thinking of
>isn't a pirate copy of a commercial product? Or just a toy?

To clear this up, I downloaded a very old version of Janus/Ada (1982) from
a local BBS, which appeared to a demo version of Janus.  I haven't gotten
it to actually _compile_ anything (barfs on use... oh well!).  I didn't
mean to imply it was free or even shareware.  The distribution I received
is incomplete.  I don't know if this is legit or not.  In any event, I'm
going back to our nice, paid-for, non-questionable VaxAda, and promising
myself I'll get used to LSE...

- Dave

* Re: Looking for a UNIX Ada Compiler...
@ 1991-11-09  2:22 dog.ee.lbl.gov!csam.lbl.gov!agate!spool.mu.edu!uwm.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohi
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!csam.lbl.gov!agate!spool.mu.edu!uwm.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohi @ 1991-11-09  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

s.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>>Interestingly, in order for a compiler to be called an "Ada" compiler,
>>it must be certified by the U.S. Government.  And it must be a
>>"complete" Ada.  So, expect to pay big bucks for a real Ada, or get a
>>free (or cheap) pretend-Ada compiler and hope for the best.
> Nope, not since 1988. The government dropped the trademark at that time.
> Anyone can do anything now and call it Ada. Validated (NOT "certified")
> compilers carry a 5-sided (pentagon-shaped) "seal of approval", and only
> validated compilers can be used for government work.
>
> If you're talking about university pricing, it's not in the "big bucks"
> category anymore. Even the most expensive systems don't go much over a
> few hundred per network node.

[etc.]

>>VAX/VMS Ada on our VMS system cost upwards of $100,000.  I knew you
>>wanted to hear this.
> It must be a while since you spoke to your DEC rep. Since you are at a
> university, you presumably come under their educational program, which
> - if I understand it right - gets you the compiler for the "media charge"
> only. True, the media charge could amount to a couple of K (I guess),
> but nowhere near 100. Not any more.
>>

> Mike Feldman
> co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

University pricing under DEC's educational program is a few hundred bucks (a
lot of money for an expanded LRM and two other manuals and a reel of tape), but
not the kind of pricing for commercial use.

For virtually any type of UNIX box, mainframe, PC, etc. there are "relatively"
inexpensive compilers for educational use that are exactly the same as what the
pros use.  In any case I suggest looking at the latest Ada IC Newsletter
(probably available at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu) and get the latest list with phone
numbers.  There really is no excuse why an education institution can't have an
inexpensive Ada compiler.... even if it means that a prof shells out $149 for
Meridian's OpenAda.

For the past several years compiler companies have (for the most part) realized
that having an inexpensive compiler for education pays off!!

GEORGE..

George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654

* Re: Looking for a UNIX Ada Compiler...
@ 1991-11-11 17:04 Richard Pattis
From: Richard Pattis @ 1991-11-11 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Nov11.085446.13537@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu> consp03@bingsuns
.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

>I believe we have the commercial version (with the ACS library manager)
>on our VAX/VMS system.  But we were talking about UNIX Ada, so the point
>
>--
> Kriston J. Rehberg,  POD Consultant,  S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services
> <consp03@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> || <consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>

How does one infer that the UNIX product doesn't exist given the premise that
VAX/VMS does exist?

In fact, DEC now has a commercial Ada compiler for Ultrix and it is available
on the same terms as their VAX/VMS product.

Rich Pattis
  Richard E. Pattis			"Programming languages are like
  Department of Computer Science	 pizzas - they come in only "too"
    and Engineering			 sizes: too big and too small."

* Re: Looking for a UNIX Ada Compiler...
@ 1991-11-16  4:50 agate!spool.mu.edu!mips!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!sarah!newserve!news
From: agate!spool.mu.edu!mips!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!sarah!newserve!news @ 1991-11-16  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Nov11.170432.2870@beaver.cs.washington.edu> pattis@cs.washingto
n.edu (Richard Pattis) writes:
  How does one infer that the UNIX product doesn't exist given the premise that
   VAX/VMS does exist?

  In fact, DEC now has a commercial Ada compiler for Ultrix and it is available
   on the same terms as their VAX/VMS product.

I wasn't inferring that it doesn't exist.  I was noting that the point
that the VMS version does exist really doesn't pertain to the
existence of a U*ix version.

   Rich Pattis

Kris
 Kriston J. Rehberg,  POD Consultant,  S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services
 <consp03@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> || <consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>
 #include <stddisclaimer.h>   /* Take it or leave it - "Hackito ergo sum" */