* Waivers: who gives them and why
@ 1991-11-26 17:48 micro-heart-of-gold.mit.edu!wupost!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!elroy.jpl.nasa.g
From: micro-heart-of-gold.mit.edu!wupost!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!elroy.jpl.nasa.g @ 1991-11-26 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here at Marshall, we are developing a workstation-based payload
monitoring and control system for which draft requirements have
already been written.

Despite the NASA mandate which requires all new systems to be written
in Ada (cf. all the Space Station code), we are planning this one in
C. NASA tells us that a waiver has been applied for- in 1987- but is
still pending.

Despite a great deal of (uninformed) debate here, we haven't been able
to find out if there's a central authority which rules on waivers, or,
if not, who does so for NASA projects.

Can anyone from SEI, the AJPO, or other NASA sites give up the good
scoop?

Wishing for Ada,
-Paul
Paul Robichaux                  | Disclaimer: NTI pays for my skills, not my
robichau@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov  |             opinions.
                  THINK BIG- life's too short to be small.

* Re: Waivers: who gives them and why
@ 1991-11-27 18:27 sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!freedom.msfc.nasa.gov!robichau
From: sdd.hp.com!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!freedom.msfc.nasa.gov!robichau @ 1991-11-27 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my original article <1991Nov26.174809.7550@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov>,
I wrote:

>Here at Marshall, we are developing a workstation-based payload
>monitoring and control system for which draft requirements have
>already been written.

>Despite the NASA mandate which requires all new systems to be written
>in Ada (cf. all the Space Station code), we are planning this one in
>C. NASA tells us that a waiver has been applied for- in 1987- but is
>still pending.

Frank McGarry from Goddard was kind enough to point out my mistake
above: while the Space Station project is currently required to use
Ada, other NASA programs are *not*. There is *NO* NASA-wide
requirement to use Ada; thus, waivers allowing use of other languages
are unnecessary.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused out in Ada-land.

Red-faced,

@ 1991-12-03 10:37 eru!hagbard!sunic!dkuug!cri.dk!csd!hm
From: eru!hagbard!sunic!dkuug!cri.dk!csd!hm @ 1991-12-03 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I'm happy the word gets around about the ESA SDE, I have to correct
one little detail though:

CRI is working closely with Atherton (partly owned by Thomson), but CRI
is NOT a Thomson subsidiary, but a 50% IBM and 50% privately held Company.

Henrik Maegaard

Manager, Columbus SDE.

mail: hm@csd.cri.dk

'