* Re: ADA Reuse Library Information wanted
@ 1993-04-27  2:08 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-04-27  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Request for information on a DoD ADA software reuse library....
>Is there such a thing?

   There are currently three DoD sponsored software reuse centers.  For more
information, keep a look out for their monthly FAQ postings on comp.lang.ada,
their periodic posting of annoucements of new Ada components on comp.lang.ada,
their recently released CD-ROMs of the entire contents of their repositories
(non-classified) for $49 (joining the ranks of many others making large
Internet collections available), their ads and marketing materials publicizing
their products and services, and (as mentioned in their FAQs), the openly
accessible anonymous ftp repository they have (with mail server access for
those without anonymous ftp access).

Greg Aharonian

(Look, one week after questions like these and no response from any of the
DoD reuse efforts, and the only response is sarcasm.  These people are
not qualified to operate software reuse centers, as demonstrated by their
continual inactions).

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimiztion
P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: ADA Reuse Library Information wanted
@ 1993-04-27 17:23 Donn Hines
From: Donn Hines @ 1993-04-27 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article 93Apr26210814@world.std.com, srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonia
n) writes:

>>Request for information on a DoD ADA software reuse library....
>>Is there such a thing?
>
>   There are currently three DoD sponsored software reuse centers.  For more
>information, keep a look out for their monthly FAQ postings on comp.lang.ada,
>their periodic posting of annoucements of new Ada components on comp.lang.ada,
>their recently released CD-ROMs of the entire contents of their repositories
>(non-classified) for $49 (joining the ranks of many others making large
>Internet collections available), their ads and marketing materials publicizing
>their products and services, and (as mentioned in their FAQs), the openly
>accessible anonymous ftp repository they have (with mail server access for
>those without anonymous ftp access).
>
>Greg Aharonian
>
>(Look, one week after questions like these and no response from any of the
>DoD reuse efforts, and the only response is sarcasm.  These people are
>not qualified to operate software reuse centers, as demonstrated by their
>continual inactions).
>

>--
>Greg Aharonian
>Source Translation & Optimiztion
>P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

Greg may have a point, assuming it's true no one has posted a response (I don't
follow this group with great regularity). However, I would like to point out th
at
it is quite possible the poster received numerous responses via email. Is it
really necessary to waste bandwidth to post information that most reading this
group already know?

I know my request for Ada/Motif bindings drew 2-3 email replies about available
products.

So lack of a post in this group doesn't necessarily represent inaction.

However, just on the off-chance that the poster received no email replies, I
will point you to one such repository (there are others, but it's the only one
I can think of offhand):

wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

This runs the TOPS-20 operating system which I find ugly to deal with via ftp,
but
have managed to do so without great difficulty. At times it takes a while to ge
in via anonymous ftp.

The SIMTEL20 archives are mirrored at:

oak.oakland.edu

which runs the Unix OS.

-donn hines           los alamos national laboratory