* Yet another example of failure of a language
@ 1993-05-10 14:06 munck
From: munck @ 1993-05-10 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In INFO-ADA Digest V93 #271, g_harrison@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
   (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) said"

>... maybe we need to encourage Computer Language Magazine to have an
>annual Ada issue.

Too late, I'm afraid, as Computer Language has just gone under.  This
is obviously due to their continued emphasis on C and C++ programming,
an approach that is doomed to failure in the Non-Munditoed World.
When will these people learn that a slick magazine with lots of
advertising, appearances at national and international conferences,
etc. are not enough to make a language successful.  They couldn't even
succeed with the HUGE government investment that they got from using
magazine rates for mailing AND sorting into zipcode order.  What a
bunch of jerks!

Not only that, but they never gave me the huge amount of money that I
deserved for pointing out a typo in one of their copyright notices.

Gre^H^H^HBob Munck

**  "When C++ is outlawed, only outlaws will know what **
**   the '++' is all about."                           **

* Re: Yet another example of failure of a language
@ 1993-05-13  4:11 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1993-05-13  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Too late, I'm afraid, as Computer Language has just gone under.  This
>is obviously due to their continued emphasis on C and C++ programming,
>an approach that is doomed to failure in the Non-Munditoed World.

Bob,
	Get your head out of the sand and start doing a serious
demographic survey.  You will find that there are twenty more times
C/C++ jobs than Ada jobs in the non-Mandated world, fifteen times more
C/C++ companies, fifteen times more C/C++ products, ten times more C/C++
code being reused, and twenty times more C/C++ language use in
university research efforts, and that these numbers have held for the
last five years.
	If you, or anyone else inside the Mandated world, made a honest
effort to measure such statistics, the results would be no different:
Ada is dead outside the Mandated world.
	With regards to Computer Language, they sent their computer
language specific stuff over to Dr. Dobb's Journal, and are forming a
new magazine on software engineering.  SUbscribers will pick up Dr.
Dobb's subscriptions (heavily C/C++) and get the new magazine for free.
On top of which, there are half a dozen other journals heavily C/C++
oriented, and a thriving C/C++ industry WHERE PEOPLE SPEND THEIR OWN
MONEY.

	You called this one wrong.

Greg
Greg Aharonian
 Source Translation & Optimiztion
 P.O. Box 404, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Yet another example of failure of a language
@ 1993-05-13 17:22 destroyer!cs.ubc.ca!fs1.ee.ubc.ca!fernando
From: destroyer!cs.ubc.ca!fs1.ee.ubc.ca!fernando @ 1993-05-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Greg says :

>Bob,
	Get your head out of the sand and start doing a serious
demographic survey.  You will find that there are twenty more times
C/C++ jobs than Ada jobs in the non-Mandated world, fifteen times more
C/C++ companies, fifteen times more C/C++ products, ten times more C/C++
code being reused, and twenty times more C/C++ language use in
university research efforts, and that these numbers have held for the
last five years.

	If you, or anyone else inside the Mandated world, made a honest
effort to measure such statistics, the results would be no different:
Ada is dead outside the Mandated world.

 Greg ...

  "Get your head out of the sand..."

  Some years ago 99.99% of software was produced in FORTRAN. The world
  changes and evolves.. So there is always the chance that C/C++ will
  reduce its share, and some language will takeover.( Which one for
  sure?  who knows...)

                 Fernando Castellanos (fernando@ee.ubc.ca)

* Re: Yet another example of failure of a language
@ 1993-05-13 23:41 hubcap!ncrcae!ncrhub2!ncrgw2!psinntp!witch!mlb!mbayern
From: hubcap!ncrcae!ncrhub2!ncrgw2!psinntp!witch!mlb!mbayern @ 1993-05-13 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>In INFO-ADA Digest V93 #271, g_harrison@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
>   (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) said"
>
>>... maybe we need to encourage Computer Language Magazine to have an
>>annual Ada issue.
>
>Too late, I'm afraid, as Computer Language has just gone under.  This
>is obviously due to their continued emphasis on C and C++ programming,

Sorry, but they've haven't 'gone under'.  They have changed the
name of the mag to Structured Design, and changed from a
subscription mag, to a circulation-controlled mag.  Which means
that I'll get it for free, but others won't be able to buy it on
the newstand.

Will they write about Ada?  I doubt it, the last two issues of CLM
included neat things like splitting languages into 'procedural' or
'object oriented', and then listing Ada in the procedural language
category.  Oh well ....

Mark

* Re: Yet another example of failure of a language
@ 1993-05-18 15:47 John Cobarruvias
From: John Cobarruvias @ 1993-05-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)