From: roump@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject: Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 94 10:16:19 EST
Date: 1994-12-09T10:16:19-05:00	[thread overview]

>Subject: Re: GNAT problem: Hello World
>From: daver@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Dave Retherford)
>Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
>Date: 8 Dec 1994 21:37:38 -0600
>
>In article <2EE640BF@SMTPGATE2.STRATCOM.AF.MIL>,
>Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U <BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL> wrote:
>> Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@MEYER.FYS.KU.DK> writes:
>>
>> > I've got a problem with GNAT-1.83-DOS (just downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com
>> > yesterday):
>> >
>> > The Hello.adb example freezes the computer when I try
>> > to run it. It seems to compile and link fine.
>> >
>> > Could somebody please help me (or point me to some help).
>>
>> and W ALI <W.Ali1@BRADFORD.AC.UK> writes:
>>
>> > I'm having exactly the same problem too !
>> >
>> > I've even tried typing a short program myself, but this tells me that the
>> > program is too big for memory.  This is impossible as it is only a few
>> > lines long.  Anybody ?
>>
>> Are you remembering that "gnatbl" in 1.83 does not create a .EXE file, but
>> rather a COFF executable.  If you create your executable with:
>>
>>      gnatbl test1 -o test1
>>
>> Then you can execute it with:
>>
>>      go32 test1
>>
>> or convert it to a DOS executable with:
>>
>>      coff2exe test1
>>
>> I've heard that "gnatbl" in GNAT 2.00 generates DOS executables directly.
>>

>It does.  I just downloaded it from nyu and installed it over my 1.83
>installation and then compiled the hello world example with no problem.
>It does build an .exe file right out of gnatbl.  One caution, make sure
>that when you run gnatbl that you use the -o option and name your file
>xxx.exe (DOS expects either a .exe or .com or .bat file when typed at the
>command line).
>

>> By the way, send all problems with GNAT to gnat-report@cs.nyu.edu.  Your
>> welcome Robert.  8-)
>>

>Right!  Not that I'm tired of Robert's posts, but I'm sure that his poor
>old fingers can use a break from
>
>	... for GNAT problems send a message to gnat-re.......
>
>:-).
>

>Dave.
>--
> Dave Retherford                      |
>  Daver@Neosoft.com  or:              |
>  Dave_Retherford@hso.link.com [work] |

  From my experience, it seems that the coff2exe program does not
  generate a real MS-DOS executable.  It still needs to find
  the go32.exe program in order to run the file.  I found this out
  when I tried typing "hello" and my PATH did not have the directory
  containing go32, thereby causing it to complain about not finding
  go32.  So my question is the following: What does coff2exe do for
  you besides save you a little typing?  Am I missing something here?
  You couldn't take your "exe" file to another machine and run it.
  You would have to bring along some additional baggage.

  Thanks,
  Pete R.
Hello there