* gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-02  9:03 Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2004-09-02  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installation problems with Gwindows at the point
where gnatcom is to be installed (no or wrong ole32,oleaut32).
I work with gnat3.15p under Win2000.
I need a functioning gwindows in order to target it from rapid(by mcc).

Is there a successful installation and use if gwindows anywhere?
Is there a gwindows discussion group?
David Botton apparently has no time to help me
(This is not a reproach but I do respect this, of course).

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-02  9:16 ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-09-02  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Am Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:03:23 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Peter Hermann
<ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de>:

> I have installation problems with Gwindows at the point
> where gnatcom is to be installed (no or wrong ole32,oleaut32).
> I work with gnat3.15p under Win2000.
> I need a functioning gwindows in order to target it from rapid(by mcc).

If you will not use gnatcom explicitly, it will suffice to
install the Gwindows sources and let gnatmake do the rest.
Perhaps you will have to choose the appropriate gwindows-gstring...
source because there are ANSI and Unicode versions.

Take a look at http://www.konad.de/download.htm

> Is there a gwindows discussion group?

But i don't know if there is a chance of getting a
response.

--
Crisis? What Crisis?
f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-02  9:27   ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2004-09-02  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote:
> If you will not use gnatcom explicitly, it will suffice to
> install the Gwindows sources and let gnatmake do the rest.
> Perhaps you will have to choose the appropriate gwindows-gstring...
> source because there are ANSI and Unicode versions.

danke!

> > Is there a successful installation and use if gwindows anywhere?
                                               of (typo correction)

> Take a look at http://www.konad.de/download.htm
>
> > Is there a gwindows discussion group?

> But i don't know if there is a chance of getting a
> response.

this mail-address does not ( or no more(?) ) exist.

--

@ 2004-09-02 22:05     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-09-02 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Hermann" <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message
> > > Is there a gwindows discussion group?

> > But i don't know if there is a chance of getting a
> > response.
>
> this mail-address does not ( or no more(?) ) exist.

I doubt it will help, but if you could use Claw instead -- we're still here
and willing and able to help. :-)

                 Randy Brukardt
                 R.R. Software, Inc.
                 www.rrsoftware.com

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-02 22:06     ` Stephen McNeill
From: Stephen McNeill @ 2004-09-02 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message news:<ch6p1m$bdq$1@news.BelWue.DE>...
> Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote:
> > > Is there a gwindows discussion group?

> > But i don't know if there is a chance of getting a
> > response.
>
> this mail-address does not ( or no more(?) ) exist.

The email-address indeed doesn't exist.

Some time ago there was some brief discussion about the future
direction of Gwindows. Nothing came of that, so I wanted to know if
Gwindows is something people are still interested in, or should we give
it a decent burial? If it is still needed, perhaps we need to organise
ourselves to be able to get the package to a state we're happy with.

Regards
Stephen

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-03  8:39       ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-09-03  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

2 Sep 2004 15:06:31 -0700  Stephen McNeill
<mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz> wrote:

> Some time ago there was some brief discussion about the future
> direction of Gwindows. Nothing came of that, so I wanted to know if
> Gwindows is something people are still interested in, or should we give
> it a decent burial? If it is still needed, perhaps we need to organise
> ourselves to be able to get the package to a state we're happy with.

We here at konad will continue to write extensions of Gwindows and
we actually use it in our development.

Periodically we will put our latest snapshot at

http://www.konad.de/download.htm

and the license will always be GMGPL. But we don't have the
resources to host and manage a big Open Source Project.
Of course if  Gwindows (the base packages) would be maintained,
we could simplify our source management. At the moment for example
we track the Gwindows bugs (not many) and fix them in our extension
packages but not in the original source.

Regards,
Frank Piron

--
Crisis? What Crisis?
f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-03  9:10         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2004-09-03  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> wrote:
> We here at konad will continue to write extensions of Gwindows and
> we actually use it in our development.
>
> Periodically we will put our latest snapshot at
>
> http://www.konad.de/download.htm
>
> and the license will always be GMGPL. But we don't have the
> resources to host and manage a big Open Source Project.
> Of course if  Gwindows (the base packages) would be maintained,
> we could simplify our source management. At the moment for example
> we track the Gwindows bugs (not many) and fix them in our extension
> packages but not in the original source.

I am curious about the attitude of David Botton concerning
a merger of the base and your extensions
in a maintenance location somewhere.

--

@ 2004-09-03 11:56           ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

What would be needed to host GWindows' code base and updates?  as in what
specific applications would be needed, if any or if simple links to source
files would do the job well.

Reason for asking is I'd like to host it on my website.

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

@ 2004-09-03 12:34             ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-09-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:56:35 GMT stephane richard
<stephane.richard@verizon.net> wrote:

> What would be needed to host GWindows' code base and updates?  as in what
> specific applications would be needed, if any or if simple links to
> source
> files would do the job well.
> Reason for asking is I'd like to host it on my website.

Of course you may place the link

http://www.konad.com/gwindows_extended.zip

which points to our Gwindows extension library.

Actually we build our extension packages in a manner that
they will work together with the latest official Gwindows
snapshot.

But i think it's desirable to merge the code into the base
packages since some of our types are derived from Gwindows
base types only to be prepared if Gwindows somtimes would be
extended by David Botton or others.

We are very comfortable with Gwindows. It's an easy to use GUI Framework
for win32 and with some extensions one may build "production quality" GUI
components. Also we could seperate our GUI layer completely from
Database Access and Business Logic using Ada95 and Gwindows.

Regards,
Frank Piron

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-03 13:56               ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-09-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

It will be added on my next update which is later today or tomorrow
depending :-).  I'll also add a link to GWindows itself stating clearly that
they need to get GWindows and Your extensions.

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

@ 2004-09-06 16:58       ` Fionn mac Cuimhaill
From: Fionn mac Cuimhaill @ 2004-09-06 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Sep 2004 15:06:31 -0700, mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz (Stephen
McNeill) wrote:

>Peter Hermann <ica2ph@sinus.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote in message news:<ch6p1m$bdq$1@news.BelWue.DE>...

>> > But i don't know if there is a chance of getting a
>> > response.
>>
>> this mail-address does not ( or no more(?) ) exist.
>
>The email-address indeed doesn't exist.
>
>Some time ago there was some brief discussion about the future
>direction of Gwindows. Nothing came of that, so I wanted to know if
>Gwindows is something people are still interested in, or should we give
>it a decent burial? If it is still needed, perhaps we need to organise
>ourselves to be able to get the package to a state we're happy with.
>
>Regards
>Stephen

I'm using it, and am planning on adding substantial extensions to the
printing support, as well as to other parts of GWindows.

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-07  8:35         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2004-09-07  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fionn mac Cuimhaill <invisible@hiding.from.spam> wrote:
> I'm using it, and am planning on adding substantial extensions to the
> printing support, as well as to other parts of GWindows.

could you give me your email-address?

--

@ 2004-09-07 21:10         ` Stephen McNeill
From: Stephen McNeill @ 2004-09-07 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fionn mac Cuimhaill <invisible@hiding.from.spam> wrote in message news:<hj5pj0do1jg60008t4gu5k6e4ncuca711f@4ax.com>...
> On 2 Sep 2004 15:06:31 -0700, mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz (Stephen
> McNeill) wrote:
>
> >Some time ago there was some brief discussion about the future
> >direction of Gwindows. Nothing came of that, so I wanted to know if
> >Gwindows is something people are still interested in, or should we give
> >it a decent burial? If it is still needed, perhaps we need to organise
> >ourselves to be able to get the package to a state we're happy with.
> >
> >Regards
> >Stephen
>
> I'm using it, and am planning on adding substantial extensions to the
> printing support, as well as to other parts of GWindows.

Great. I also have some modifications planned. It seems then, from
your comments, and those of Frank Piron, that there are a few
more-or-less parallel efforts to move Gwindows along, albeit in
different ways.

So, is there some consensus for a formal structure to maintain the
package, or would people prefer to do their own thing? Oh, and a reply
doesn't necessarily constitute an offer to manage the effort...

Thanks
Stephen

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-09-08  6:41           ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2004-09-08  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 7 Sep 2004 14:10:05 -0700 schrieb Stephen McNeill
<mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz>:

> Fionn mac Cuimhaill <invisible@hiding.from.spam> wrote in message
>> On 2 Sep 2004 15:06:31 -0700, mcneills@landcareresearch.co.nz (Stephen
>> McNeill) wrote:
>>
>> >Some time ago there was some brief discussion about the future
>> >direction of Gwindows. Nothing came of that, so I wanted to know if
>> >Gwindows is something people are still interested in, or should we give
>> >it a decent burial? If it is still needed, perhaps we need to organise
>> >ourselves to be able to get the package to a state we're happy with.
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >Stephen
>>
>> I'm using it, and am planning on adding substantial extensions to the
>> printing support, as well as to other parts of GWindows.
>
> Great. I also have some modifications planned. It seems then, from
> your comments, and those of Frank Piron, that there are a few
> more-or-less parallel efforts to move Gwindows along, albeit in
> different ways.
>
> So, is there some consensus for a formal structure to maintain the
> package, or would people prefer to do their own thing? Oh, and a reply
> doesn't necessarily constitute an offer to manage the effort...

Perhaps it would be helpful if we first could get a simple table:

<person_or_organization> is working on <part> of GWindows
Fionn mac Cuimhaill                    printing

...                                    ...

KonAd                                  controls

...                                    ...

to avoid redundancies.
--
Crisis? What Crisis?
f_r_a_n_k_a_t_k_o_n_a_d_d_o_t_n_e_t

* Re: gwindows as target from rapid
@ 2004-10-03 15:56         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-10-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-09-03 04:39:11 -0400, Frank Piron <empty@zero.nil> said:

> Of course if  Gwindows (the base packages) would be maintained,
> we could simplify our source management.

At worst case Frank, if a team doesn't develop this time around for
GWindows, I'll give you the FTP access if you are willing so you can
put your version of GWindows as the baseline.

>  At the moment for example
> we track the Gwindows bugs (not many) and fix them in our extension
> packages but not in the original source.

Glad I wrote decent code that stood up over time :-)
	(Ada likely deserves most of the credit).

David Botton