* GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-05 13:15 Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2019-06-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI,

Just got this in email. I did not see it posted here.

=========================
Calling all members of the Ada and SPARK community, we are pleased to announce that GNAT Community 2019 is here! See https://www.adacore.com/download <https://www.adacore.com/download>.

This release is supported on the same platforms as last year:
Windows, Linux, and Mac 64-bit native
RISC-V hosted on Linux
ARM 32 bits hosted on 64-bit Linux, Mac, and Windows

GNAT Community now includes a number of fixes and enhancements, most notably:
The SPARK language now has support for pointers, a fantastic milestone for the language! Watch https://blog.adacore.com <https://blog.adacore.com/> for an upcoming article dedicated to this new feature.
The installer for Windows and Linux now contains pre-built binary distributions of Libadalang <https://github.com/AdaCore/libadalang>, a very powerful language tooling library for Ada and SPARK.

Check out the README <http://mirrors.cdn.adacore.com/art/5cf1784731e87a39b16ab0f1> for some additional platform-specific notes.

For those wanting to get up and running with the Ada and SPARK programming languages, visit https://learn.adacore.com/ <https://learn.adacore.com/>, an interactive platform which allows you to compile, run and even prove your code!

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-09 17:43 ` Charly
From: Charly @ 2019-06-09 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

unfortunately GNAT Community 2019 ist no longer able to compile code of old Ada Versions:

$ gnatmake main.adb -gnat05
gcc -c -gnat05 main.adb
gnat1: invalid switch: -gnat05
gnatmake: "main.adb" compilation error

$ gnatmake main.adb -gnat2005
gcc -c -gnat2005 main.adb
gnat1: invalid switch: -gnat2005
gnatmake: "main.adb" compilation error

The same happens for -gnat95 and -gnat83

Only -gnat12 and -gnat2012 work:
$ gnatmake main.adb -gnat12
gcc -c -gnat12 main.adb
gnatbind -x main.ali
gnatlink main.ali

$ gnatmake main.adb -gnat2012
gcc -c -gnat2012 main.adb
gnatbind -x main.ali
gnatlink main.ali

Also the pragma Ada_2005 does not work:

gnatmake main.adb
gcc -c main.adb
main.adb:1:01: warning: pragma "Ada_2005" ignored
gnatbind -x main.ali
gnatlink main.ali

Sincerely
Charly

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-09 19:33   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2019-06-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charly <carl.weierstrass@googlemail.com> writes:

> unfortunately GNAT Community 2019 ist no longer able to compile code
> of old Ada Versions:

Nor would CE 2018. The last AdaCore version that would was GPL 2017.

FSF GCC, on the othe hand, will.

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-09 19:39   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2019-06-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2019-06-09 19:43, Charly wrote:

> unfortunately GNAT Community 2019 ist no longer able to compile code of old Ada Versions:

It was already so with the 2018 edition. I am using 2017 edition for
Windows 32-bit, that was dropped too.

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-09 20:24   ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2019-06-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> unfortunately GNAT Community 2019 ist no longer able to compile code of old Ada Versions

It does: just remove the -gnat83, -gnat95 or -gnat05 switches.

What the disappearance of the switches mean is that you cannot anymore downgrade GNAT to a "Ada 83 only", "Ada 95 only" or a "Ada 2005 only" compiler.

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-06-09 22:13   ` Fedja Beader
From: Fedja Beader @ 2019-06-09 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is not new, my GNAT Community 2018 install is also not recognizing
the -gnat05 flag. But the band-aid is often a simple change to -gnat12
or omitting the flag altogether.

- Fedja

* Re: GNAT Community 2019 is here!
@ 2019-07-29  0:05     ` Norman Worth
From: Norman Worth @ 2019-07-29  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com wrote:
>> unfortunately GNAT Community 2019 ist no longer able to compile code of old Ada Versions
>
> It does: just remove the -gnat83, -gnat95 or -gnat05 switches.
>
> What the disappearance of the switches mean is that you cannot anymore downgrade GNAT to a "Ada 83 only", "Ada 95 only" or a "Ada 2005 only" compiler.

Unfortunately, there are many incompatibilities between Ada83 and later
versions.  There are also some between Ada2012 and almost all earlier
versions.  Therefore, it may not be possible to correctly compile code
written for earlier versions with the newest compiler.  The switches are
useful for maintenance programmers.