* Looking for jvm-gnatmake for Linux x86_64
@ 2012-11-01 22:47 mail
From: mail @ 2012-11-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys!

I thought I'd try out the new Ada tools from those kind people at AdaCore.

Everything works great so far, but I can't compile to the JVM!
I installed from gnat-2012-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-bin for GNAT GPL 2012.

I was hoping to compile for JVM using "jvm-gnatmake".  But I can't find
these Java tools anywhere.

Where can I obtain the Linux compilers for targeting JVM?

Thanks.
--
Dr. Adrian Wrigley

* Re: Looking for jvm-gnatmake for Linux x86_64
@ 2012-11-02  1:56 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-11-02  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:47:14 PM UTC-6, ma...@adrianwrigley.com wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I thought I'd try out the new Ada tools from those kind people at AdaCore.
> Everything works great so far, but I can't compile to the JVM!
>
> I installed from gnat-2012-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-bin for GNAT GPL 2012.
> I was hoping to compile for JVM using "jvm-gnatmake".  But I can't find
> these Java tools anywhere.
>
> Where can I obtain the Linux compilers for targeting JVM?

Well, you could compile your stuff on a windows box, I know there's a windows Ada->JVM compiler.

* Re: Looking for jvm-gnatmake for Linux x86_64
@ 2012-11-02 13:50 ` comar
From: comar @ 2012-11-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Where can I obtain the Linux compilers for targeting JVM?

on the libre site. You just need to select the jvm-windows platform instead of the x86-windows one.

* Re: Looking for jvm-gnatmake for Linux x86_64
@ 2012-11-03 19:58   ` mail
From: mail @ 2012-11-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 2, 2012 1:50:02 PM UTC, co...@adacore.com wrote:
> > Where can I obtain the Linux compilers for targeting JVM?
>
> on the libre site. You just need to select the jvm-windows platform instead of the x86-windows one.

I tried this suggestion.  I got a file gnat-gpl-2012-jvm-windows-bin.exe which runs under Microsoft Windows OS (tm).

I'm hoping to use (Debian) Linux to compile Ada code to run under the JVM, without using Windows(tm).  Is this possible?  Did I miss something crucial?

I know that I can install Windows(tm) under VirtualBox. and mess around with complicated scripts to compile my code under with the above tools.  I don't think this would be acceptable for my application though.
If it isn't possible now, might it appear in a future release?

Thanks.
--
Adrian

* Re: Looking for jvm-gnatmake for Linux x86_64
@ 2012-11-05 20:11     ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2012-11-05 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 3 novembre 2012 20:58:51 UTC+1, ma...@adrianwrigley.com a écrit :
> On Friday, November 2, 2012 1:50:02 PM UTC, co...@adacore.com wrote:
> > > Where can I obtain the Linux compilers for targeting JVM?
> > > on the libre site. You just need to select the jvm-windows platform instead of the x86-windows one.
> I tried this suggestion.  I got a file gnat-gpl-2012-jvm-windows-bin.exe which runs under Microsoft Windows OS (tm).
> I'm hoping to use (Debian) Linux to compile Ada code to run under the JVM, without using Windows(tm).  Is this possible?  Did I miss something crucial?
> I know that I can install Windows(tm) under VirtualBox. and mess around with complicated scripts to compile my code under with the above tools.  I don't think this would be acceptable for my application though.
> If it isn't possible now, might it appear in a future release?
> Thanks.
> --
> Adrian

One other option is to build GNAT-JVM from source.
It's not so difficult, all is well described in source archive.
I wrote a how to (in French but you can understand easily instructions) for GNAT-JVM 2011 on MacOS, see:
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/creations.html#jgnat
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/jgnat/jvm-gnat-osx.pdf (§2 Construction...)

In fact, I fell in an Java error I couldn't recover:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Applet
See http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/alpha.html at section JGNAT (old name) and test case:
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/telechargements/jgnat/Essai_Ada.zip

If you try building source, I'm interested in your feedback using JVM.
Best Pascal.