* Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  3:09 R. Ivan Kobrinsky
From: R. Ivan Kobrinsky @ 2004-11-09  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi group,

To get an objective survey to this language, I�m actually going to
investigate sourcecodes written in Ada 95. The kind of projects I�m
looking for is not specified, but asking Google for this is like to
find a nail in mud. Well, so I�m here to ask the 'old Ada-rabitts'
if somebody could show me any link or well known areas where I can
download such information like opensource-projects and so on.

Thanks IA,
R.I.K.

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  3:20 ` stephane richard
From: stephane richard @ 2004-11-09  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"R. Ivan Kobrinsky" <I.Kobrinsky@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> To get an objective survey to this language, I�m actually going to
> investigate sourcecodes written in Ada 95. The kind of projects I�m
> looking for is not specified, but asking Google for this is like to
> find a nail in mud. Well, so I�m here to ask the 'old Ada-rabitts'
> if somebody could show me any link or well known areas where I can
> download such information like opensource-projects and so on.
>
> Thanks IA,
> R.I.K.

Two places...I can think of quickly :-)

http://www.adapower.com   (so much code, I stopped counting a decade ago
;-).  but it's very professionally organized and can be searched quickly.

http://www.adaworld.com  (hit the project section, everything you see in
there has source code).

Hope this helps.

Stephane Richard
"Ada World" webmaster
http://www.adaworld.com

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  4:55   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-11-09  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Two places...I can think of quickly :-)
A third: www.adaic.com  has a search (near the bottom of the page)

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  5:06 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-11-09  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some slightly eccentric Ada programs, look at the two Ada examples in
http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/

or the programs at
http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran/

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  5:20   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-09  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-11-09 00:06:40 -0500, tmoran@acm.org said:

> For some slightly eccentric Ada programs, look at the two Ada examples in
> http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/

Listed in AdaPower :-)

> or the programs at
> http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran/

Most already in AdaPower :-)

Do I have your permission to put in the new stuff?

Thanks,
David Botton
http://www.adapower.com

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  8:16     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2004-11-09  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > http://home.comcast.net/~twmoran/
>
> Most already in AdaPower :-)
>
> Do I have your permission to put in the new stuff?
  Certainly. :)

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09  8:27 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-11-09  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Ivan Kobrinsky wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> To get an objective survey to this language, I?m actually going to
> investigate sourcecodes written in Ada 95. The kind of projects I?m
> looking for is not specified, but asking Google for this is like to
> find a nail in mud. Well, so I?m here to ask the 'old Ada-rabitts'
> if somebody could show me any link or well known areas where I can
> download such information like opensource-projects and so on.
>
> Thanks IA,
> R.I.K.

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=163

There are 90 Ada projects there.

With Regards

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09 13:25   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-11-09 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes and all the active ones or ones that have code should already be
listed on AdaPower.com :-)

David Botton

@ 2004-11-09 15:03   ` Frank J. Lhota
From: Frank J. Lhota @ 2004-11-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

<tmoran@acm.org> wrote in message news:zfYjd.315543$wV.245713@attbi_s54...
> For some slightly eccentric Ada programs, look at the two Ada examples in
> http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/

I especially like the multitasking solution. With a song this long, it
behooves us to speed things up by using mutiple threads. :) Now if we could
only synchronize the tasks to get the effect of singing in rounds...

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-09 18:03     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-11-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Comparisons between Ada and C that involve text I/O are biased in favor
of C because the Ada versions typically use Ada.Text_IO. Text_IO is a
very heavyweight implementation of text I/O, given all the column, line,
and page counting that must go on.

I've created a thick binding to the C text I/O library (fopen, fclose,
fgetc, fgets, fputc, fputs) to use in such cases, or when the speed
difference is important. The main source of errors (supplying the wrong
length to fgets) is isolated to one place, and uses 'Length to get the
length right. It involves a small C file to provide access to the
standard file handles. I've been able to use it with GNAT 3.15p and the
C compiler that comes with it. I have not been able to test it with
another Ada compiler, because I don't have C compilers that produce
output in a format that they accept.

I would appreciate it if people would test the binding with other
compilers, and will provide it to anyone who wants to use it with GNAT
as well.

If it proves to be fairly portable, I'll make it more easily available.

E-mail me at jrcarter [at-sign] acm [period | full stop] org if you're
interested.

"C's solution to this [variable-sized arrays] has real problems,
and people who are complaining about safety definitely have a point."
Dennis Ritchie

* Re: Ada 95 Sourcecode
@ 2004-11-10  0:25     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2004-11-10  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: I especially like the multitasking solution. With a song this long, it
: behooves us to speed things up by using mutiple threads. :) Now if we could
: only synchronize the tasks to get the effect of singing in rounds...

Perhaps with multi media support. Are there Smurf voices built into
MIDI devices yet?