* Re: Johnny AdaSeed (aka Greg Aharonian)
@ 1993-09-03 18:44 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1993-09-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I certainly think it can only help to drop CD Roms around the place. However,
I think people are fooling themselves if they think that small steps like this
can make a significant difference. Mostly I think they just make people feel'go
od that *something* is being done
(sort of like security at US airports).

That doesn't mean I discourage people doing these kind of things, it's just
that I hope that it does not substitute for effective action and policy.

* Re: Johnny AdaSeed (aka Greg Aharonian)
@ 1993-09-03 19:47 David Tannen
From: David Tannen @ 1993-09-03 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe as Ada software engineers we could all donate $2 to the
"Johnny AdaSeed" project.  I wonder if a non-profit corp. could be
setup to do this and form the umbrella "Ada Business Council" group
Greg was talking about.

What does anyone think of this idea?

---
David Tannen
tannend@source.asset.com
tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com
-- "Dependance on wizardry to mitigate the fundamental limitations
--  of software is called 'hacking'."  Grady Booch.
--
-- Developing MS-Windows applications often requires 'wizardry'.

* Re: Johnny AdaSeed (aka Greg Aharonian)
@ 1993-09-03 22:00 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-09-03 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Sep3.194745.11488@schbbs.mot.com> tannen@tigger.geg.mot.com wri
tes:
>Maybe as Ada software engineers we could all donate $2 to the
>"Johnny AdaSeed" project.  I wonder if a non-profit corp. could be
>setup to do this and form the umbrella "Ada Business Council" group
>Greg was talking about.
>
>What does anyone think of this idea?

Count me in.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5253 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
"We just changed our CONFIG.SYS, then pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. It was easy."
-- Alexandre Giglavyi, director Lyceum of Information Technologies, Moscow.

* Re: Johnny AdaSeed (aka Greg Aharonian)
@ 1993-09-10  0:36 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1993-09-10  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <26839p$uv@schonberg.cs.nyu.edu> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wri
tes:

[deletia]

>That doesn't mean I discourage people doing these kind of things, it's just
>that I hope that it does not substitute for effective action and policy.

Generally you post to this group only to respond critically to someone else's
post. I think it would be very helpful, given your long Ada history and
influence in many quarters, if you posted a constructive note to the net
suggesting just what you think "effective action and policy" should be.
Undoubtedly you've thought about this a lot, Robert. Can you share it
with us?

Mike Feldman

* Re: Johnny AdaSeed (aka Greg Aharonian)
@ 1993-09-10 14:59 att-out!cbnewsj!cbnewsi!cbnewsh!cbnewse!cbnewsd!cbnewsc!cbfsb!cbnews!cbne
From: att-out!cbnewsj!cbnewsi!cbnewsh!cbnewse!cbnewsd!cbnewsc!cbfsb!cbnews!cbne @ 1993-09-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From article <26839p$uv@schonberg.cs.nyu.edu>, by dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dew
ar):
> I certainly think it can only help to drop CD Roms around the place. However,
> I think people are fooling themselves if they think that small steps like thi
> can make a significant difference. Mostly I think they just make people feel'
good that *something* is being done
> (sort of like security at US airports).
>
> That doesn't mean I discourage people doing these kind of things, it's just
> that I hope that it does not substitute for effective action and policy.

Care to make some recommendations?  Seriously, I don't mean to flame on
here, but what do you consider effective action?  I agree with Bluto
Blutarsky of "Animal House", this situation calls for an incredibly foolish
act on someone's part.  Seems to me that the CD Rom thing qualifies.

Dave Willett          AT&T Federal Systems Advanced Technologies

The biggest mistake you can make is to believe that you work for someone else.

			-- Anonymous